Permanently unlock iPhone 4s (Verizon) to be used in another country?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by It'sMyPrecious, Nov 30, 2013.

1. It'sMyPrecious macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Between heaven and hell
    A few years ago, I bought a new iPhone 4s (Verizon) from the Verizon store with a 2 year contract. I've since upgraded to the 5, so the 4s has been sitting there collecting dust.

I have a friend who will be moving to China and won't be coming back. I'm considering giving my 4s to him so he can use it in China. However, I will need to get it unlocked (permanently), so he can use it as a prepaid phone with whatever networks there are in China.

I've tried to do some research and I'm getting conflicting info! I heard I can call Verizon and they can unlock it for me, but the unlock is temporary, which won't work in my case. And I heard I can do some jail breaking and hacking to unlock it myself, or I can buy some "unlocking" code from ebay (I thought this only works for AT&T phones???). Then I heard I cannot unlock it; the only way to get an unlocked phone is to buy a factory unlocked phone.

tl;dr: can I unlock my (regular) verizon iPhone 4s so it can be used as a prepaid phone in China, permanently?
  2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    All you gotta do is call Verizon. They will unlock your 4S for international GSM use.
    The unlock will be forever. Not temp.