Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
When I install MacOS X for the first time, I'm the first owner so I can access Read and Write to every files and folders on the Mac Volumes including the System Folder. But when my Account gets a little funky, I deleted and make a fresh one. Everything went well, but now I have Permission problems. It can easily be fix though, I go to every single folder and choose I'm the original owner and admin can read and write. But I cannot fix the System Folder permission. Everytime I try, it tell me I don't have access privilege to some of the item. Ahhh!! I feel like using the Mac at School where everything I do, I get a return of "You do not have access privilege blah blah blah!

Is there anyway to fix the Permission Read and Write problem in MacOS X? Everytime a new user is created, I have to go manually fix the permission. I use Disk Utility Tools to fix the permission but it doesn't do anything.

sys01.jpg

Here I choose the original owner is me, and the rest can Read only. Click on Apply Enclosed Items.

sys02.jpg

Yes I want to do this. Click Ok.

sys03.jpg

Darn!

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
They default owner for the System folder is the "system" account. Unless you have a specific reason that you want to fiddle around in that folder, it's best to leave the permissions as: You can: Read Only, details Owner: system, Access: Read & Write, group: wheel, Access: Read Only, Others: Read only....this is how mine are set and I am the admin and sole user on my mac, so I'm assuming these are the default setting for that folder.

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
They default owner for the System folder is the "system" account. Unless you have a specific reason that you want to fiddle around in that folder, it's best to leave the permissions as: You can: Read Only, details Owner: system, Access: Read & Write, group: wheel, Access: Read Only, Others: Read only....this is how mine are set and I am the admin and sole user on my mac, so I'm assuming these are the default setting for that folder.

So there is no way to fix it? I know before I'm able to access it. Sometime I install stuff and it get into the System Folder. I don't want it to get stuck in there when I remove the application. Hmm..I could be wrong though, that could be the Library folder that isn't in the System Folder.

Also, I set it back to the way you had your but now I also get the same error Access Privilege. I think I have messup.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
All the application support files and preferences are in either the Library folder in your user folder or the Library folder on the root level of your hard drive. You don't need to access the System folder for those things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.