Permission Repair Not Completing-SR MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SubaruNation555, Dec 24, 2007.

1. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I got a new SR MacBook Pro yesterday. After I had installed Leopard and all my software and other files I figured a permissions repair might clean some things up. I repaired permissions but about 30 seconds in the progress bar froze in one location. I gave it 5 minutes to move but it didn't make any progress. At that point the fans came on so I checked what was making the comp so hot. Activity monitor showed installdb as the process taking up 75-90% of the CPU. I quit disk utility and restarted and the process was gone. Any idea what the deal is? Thanks.

[​IMG]

If for some reason the pic above doesn't load, here is the link:

http://www.pbase.com/subaru_nation555/image/90746519

2. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried booting from the Leopard CD and opening Disk Utility that way but when I prompted it to repair permissions, the progress bar just candy caned for about 5 minutes. When I booted normally and tried running a permissions repair again it said: "Disk Aid Failed: The underlying task reported failure on exit."

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

There is a bug in Leopard that makes repairing permissions take forever (10-30min). The bar seems to be frozen for a while and then it starts moving but you'll end up with 9 errors. Apple knows about it, says it's harmless and we're assuming they'll fix it in the next update (10.5.2).

4. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response, glad to know it's not just my computer. I am always a little paranoid with something like a new computer.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I still think Apple should have fixed this by 10.5.1... Grr.