permission repair question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Benz63amg, May 30, 2011.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

hey guys, when u repair permissions, do u choose the VOLUME or the Harddrive from the side bar in Disk Utility?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Repair Permissions only applies to bootable partitions, so I would select the partition(Volume).

I do know when you have multiple partitions on a disk, you have to select the partition.

3. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

so u select "Macintosh hd" from the side bar right?

4. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Yes

5. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I'm not sure if the previous posters are correct - this is confusing (and confuses me, so I just don't know!). Here:

"The Repair Disk function

Repair Disk verifies and, if problems are found, corrects issues with the directory on a disk or volume.

The directory is analogous to a combined address book and road map to where data is stored on a disk or volume. A volume, also known as a partition, is section of a physical hard disk which, from the perspective of the operating system, works like a separate disk. All hard disks have one or more volumes or partitions.

Keep in mind the following key points about Repair Disk:

You cannot use Repair Disk to repair your Mac OS X startup disk — for example, Macintosh HD — while your Mac is started up (booted) from such. To repair your startup disk, you must startup from your Mac OS X Install disc or another drive on which Mac OS X is installed. See Steps 1-2 of the Procedure specified in our "Resolving Disk, Permission, and Cache Corruption" FAQ for step-by-step instructions on repairing your startup disk using your Mac OS X Install disc.
    If you are running Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later and your startup disk is in Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) format — the default format for Mac OS X 10.3 Panther® and later — you can use Verify Disk to verify the directory of your startup disk while your Mac is started up from such. This is known as Live Verification. If Verify Disk finds errors on your startup disk, you must repair the disk as noted in point 1.
    While Repair Disk can correct a variety of directory problems, it is generally incapable of repairing severe directory corruption. Severe directory corruption can often be repaired by third-party disk utilities, such as Alsoft® DiskWarrior® and Micromat® TechTool® Pro.

Before attempting to use a third-party utility to repair a disk or volume, assure that you have the latest version of the utility that is compatible with the version of Mac OS X you are using.

For additional information about the Repair Disk and Verify Disk functions of Disk Utility, consult Disk Utility Help.

To delve into the technical details of the directory and volume structure of the Mac OS Extended disk format, aka HFS Plus or HFS+, see the Apple® Developer Connection document "Technical Note TN1150: HFS Plus Volume Format."

The Repair Disk Permissions function

Repair Disk Permissions verifies and, if problems are found, resets (repairs) the permissions on Apple-originated files and folders (objects), i.e. Mac OS X system-related objects and Apple-provided applications bundled with Mac OS X. This is described in more detail in the AppleCare® Knowledge Base document "About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature."

Verification compares the current permissions settings of an Apple-originated object against those specified for that object in its associated installation receipt. Receipts are files saved in the Macintosh HD > Library > Receipts folder, i.e. the /Library/Receipts directory. If the permissions of an object differ from those specified in its associated receipt, its permissions are reset to the values specified in the receipt.

It is important to understand that Repair Disk Permissions only verifies and repairs the permissions of Apple-originated objects whose receipts are in the /Library/Receipts directory. This means that Repair Disk Permissions will not correct permissions problems on:

Third-party software, even if that software was installed using the Mac OS X Installer and created a receipt in /Library/Receipts. This is because the software was not "Apple-originated." [1]
    Objects in the Macintosh HD > Users folder, such as your Home folder or its contents. Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard® introduced a Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs function that is available in the Reset Password function of the Utilities menu when you start up from the Leopard install disc.
    Repair Disk Permissions is only available for volumes on which Mac OS X is installed."