Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpxxxxx123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
I am in OSX1.2.2 and need to trash some files. I keep getting the message that I don't have sufficient permission. How do I correct this? I am the sole user of my computer, and this is HIGHLY frustrating!

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Haen't seen that particular error before but usually when you get something like that it will either already have a prompt for a password or a little padlock icon you can click to input the password of the admin (or to be more technically correct, root) user.

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
There are a couple of apps that will do the trick:

Onyx: What you're looking for is a couple of menus down, but you'll find it. You'll want Onyx eventually, I'd recommend it now. It's free.

DropObliter: It does one thing - puts stuff in the Trash that doesn't want to go. Also free.

Both work well, but again, Onyx does lots of stuff you'll eventually want to do.

*****Danger*****

Be very careful deleting stuff that the OS doesn't want you to. Make darn sure that it's not something that the OS or an app needs to run. Then, double check. Then, and only then, consider using one of the above apps. Then, recheck, and delete if you're comfortable.

This is actually a feature, to keep you from screwing up your OS. It goes awry sometimes (I've had it once in two years), but it's a good thing. Be careful bypassing this.

Did I mention be careful?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.