Permissions always get messed up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by faroZ06, Nov 20, 2012.

1. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Does this only happen to my cousin and me, or does this happen to everyone? When I repair my permissions with Disk Utility, I get errors that it fixes (not ACL things, "permissions differ" errors). It finishes, supposedly fixing everything. Then I run it again the second after I just fixed everything, and it has more stuff to fix. On top of that, it didn't fix my music and Mail settings I didn't have permissions for because of a manual user migration.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.
    Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

3. faroZ06 thread starter macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Yeah, I'm getting some of those Java permissions errors. What's weird is that after it fixes them, I run it again, and it's instantly off again. I have no choice but to ignore them.

Also, "Disk Utility repairs the permissions for files installed by the Mac OS X Installer, Software Update, or an Apple software installer. It doesn’t repair permissions for your documents, your home folder, and third-party applications." Shouldn't that include the default folders in the home folder it gives you? It was so bad that I couldn't open iTunes. Opening iTunes even gave me a KP before I went in and fixed the permissions myself.