Permissions denied on Ext Superdrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ricede, Jan 20, 2015.

1. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

I have a Superdrive taken out of a MBPro. It is in an Ext casing with USB cable connection. I Have been using it connected to my iMac for months without problems.

Today i put a blank DVD into it and clicked on - Open in Finder - as always. It comes up with a message saying
    " The operation cant be completed because you don't have the necessary permissions "

I have tried everything i can think of to get round this but without success. Has anyone had this experience or have suggestions about how i can get it to work again. Thanks.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

You might try this (no promise that it will work for you):

Open the CDs & DVDs preference pane.

Set all the popup menus to "ignore".

Try again.

Does that make any difference.

3. ricede thread starter macrumors regular

ricede

Nice idea.
    Unfortunately - because the iMac no longer comes with a burner - that pref pane is missing.

4. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

I believe if you have a Superdrive plugged into the usb port that will show up. and that of it's self might be a clue.

Edit: I just tried this by plugging a Superdrive into my iMac 2013 with no built in cd drive and it indeed shows up in system prefs.

5. ricede thread starter macrumors regular

ricede

beachmusic - you are a star.

Stupidly i didn't have the burner plugged in, when i checked syst prefs, so of course the cd/dvd entry was missing.

Getting into syst prefs allowed me to force the mac to open other burning software when a blank is loaded, which is what i wanted anyway.

Success.

Thanks so much