Permissions for Windows users of 10.6 file shares

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gdc, Oct 26, 2009.

1. gdc macrumors member

Greetings, I would be very pleased if someone could help me with my file sharing permissions for Windows users of a Mac mini file server running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 (not server).

I have a folder in my root directory, lets call it Project, that holds a series of 10 sub folders, say 1 through 10. Some of my users I wish to have read/write access to the whole Project directory, and, having enabled file sharing in System Preferences (and SMB for Windows), I did cmd i to get info on the Project folder, ticked sharing, added the users (whose user accounts I had replicated on the Mac from their Windows machines), gave them read/write access, and then was able to map a drive to Project in their machines. All good so far, notwithstanding an hour tussle with a Vista laptop ;-) to get it to see the other workgroup machines. The other user 'groups' were set the following permissions: me - read/write; Admin - read/write; Everyone - no access; which seemed sensible.

Then, when I wanted to only share say sub folders 4, 5 and 6 with other users, who will not have access to the whole Project directory, things were not as straight forward. I followed the same procedure as above, but for the particular sub folders. However, I think they are only able to see them if I provide read or read/write access for Everyone to the parent Project directory. This of course then lets them at least see all the other folders I do not want to share with them. I don't seem to be able to remove the Everyone group from the Project directory, which occurred to me might resolve this.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I share between OS X & Linux using secure SSH, so maybe I don't have the best advice about samba file serving, but from reading your post my first reaction is why not organize folder shares like this: share 1 allows r/w to all, share 2 is writable by users XYZ & otherwise read only, share 3 is only visible to X user(s), etc. instead of one share with granular subfolders.

3. gdc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion. I think what I am actually going to do is not share the uppper directory at all, but instead will just run the 10 subfolders as individual shares, then I can set permissions appropriately.