Permissions Help. All drives are locked. See screen shots

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rhett7660, Sep 6, 2009.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hello all...

I am in a little perdicament. I changed my permissions on a folder(s) and now I can't access any of the hard drives on my computer. I have been trying to run OnyX for the past hour and it is just spinning on Verifying startup volume. I have tried to go into Terminal but this is what I get. See screen shots. Any suggestions?

I have also tried the disk utility but I get the following errors also. See screen shots.

Attached Files:

2. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

More screens

Attached Files:

3. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Also, I can't use Time Machine because it is on one of the internal drives and it is access denied also. So I can't go backwards in time with that either..

4. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Since I couldn't run Permission Repair under my user name I am now trying it under root. However, the etstimated time is 14 hours!! :eek::eek:

Does this seem normal? I am also seeing a lot of the:

ACL Found but not expecton on "Library......

I have tried to updgrade to SL, but that is not working either. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do for this?

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Well, it might be helpful to know what folder you initially changed permissions on.

You should also turn off all sharing on the drive, at least until permissions are repaired.

6. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

I changed permissions on the Macintosh HD drive......

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Do you have another Mac that you could d/l the app to? I made this same mistake with an external one time. I had to duplicate the drive into a folder then use the app on it but I was able to get all my data back.

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

if you pull up the advanced options in system preferences accounts is your user id showing up as 501? if not you can try changing it back

also try logging in as root and correcting permissions on macintosh hd

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Okay, that would explain it, as that is permissions on the entire system and not just a folder as you previously indicated.

You can try installing Leopard or Snow Leopard onto another volume and then repairing the disc from that other installation, if the other methods mentioned don't pan out.

What exactly did you do when you changed the permissions? Apple is usually pretty good about preventing users from being able to accomplish this sort of thing.

10. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

I was syncing some files via chronsynic. Some of the files were putting up errors... I changed the permissons under the "get info" tab for my user name to "Read and Write". Once I did that it locked everything down.

My system is no longer able to boot up. It goes in an endless cycle of going to the white screen, makes the start up noise and the recycles again.

I was in the process of copying over files to do a fresh install. These were just files on the disk that I was using. Nothing that had to do with the OS. I had about 100+ files that would not copy over so I changed the permissions on my name under the "get info tab" and this is where I am at....

11. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Unable to boot at this time. I was going to try and install it on a firewire drive I have but I can't boot up any more.....

12. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

You should be able to install to a new external hard drive by booting on the CD and then pointing it to the new volume for installation. Once you are installed there and can boot up on the new external disc then you can work on recovering your data from the other disc or possibly repair the permission issues there to correct the problem.

The problem with the change of read/write for you, the superuser on the box is that you probably lost root ownership permissions on the file system when you made that change. Either that, your you somehow changed your group id number, etc, which rendered the system inoperable.

I would really be surprised if this was doable when logged in as a user, even as an administrator. Did you log in as the root user itself when you made this change?

13. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

I was logged in as the Main user on the machine which is also set to administrator.

Trying the boot up thing now.....

14. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ok.. I was able to get SL installed and up and running. However my other three drives are still showing locked.

What would you suggest?

And thank you very much for helping me on this.........!

15. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

It is showing 501...

16. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

17. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I'm guessing you ran the series of permission settings against the drive as indicated somewhere in that thread?

18. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Couldn't you boot off the DVD, and the perform a full disk repair and permissions repair?

19. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Tried that. Didn't work. It only worked on the main Macintosh HD. Didn't work on the others.

20. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup.. I was able to do the following on each drive, worked like a charm.

Code:
    sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/Volumename
    sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/Volumename
    sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/Volumename
    sudo chmod -N /Volumes/Volumename 

Here is a question. Now that I can access Time Machine, since I wasn't able to get the info from the original drive, can I go and pick things out via Time Machine?

21. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

You should be able to pull individual files and folders out. You won't be able to do things like recover entire user folders or application folders.

There are also Time Machine explorer applications that will let you browse the entire Time Machine archive.

22. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is what I wanted to hear! Thank you for the help!!!!! Mucho appreciated. I was dreading the long walk to the apple store with my Mac Pro in hand.....