Permissions in flash drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eliotschreiner, Jan 12, 2009.

1. eliotschreiner macrumors member

[​IMG]

This is what I got today after trying to copy some pictures to my flash drive.

Anyone know how to get around this?

2. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Is it connected into a USB hub? Same thing happened to me when I used a USB hub to connect my flash drive; if that's your case, try plugging it directly into your computer.

3. eliotschreiner thread starter macrumors member

No, it's in the computer.

4. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Not sure what it can possibly be then..you probably have tried this, but if you haven't, plug it in a different USB port on the computer. and if that doesn't work, try a USB hub. if THAT doesn't work, since I don't know much on this, I'd suggest trying to format the flash drive and see if that works..lol..not too knowledgable on this subject so I wouldn't exactly take my advice.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Since it's FAT32, the "permissions" mean that the disk is mounted as read-only (since FAT disks don't have any permissions).

Hmm... there are a few reasons why this happens. What kind of flash drive is it?

One thing to check is to make sure there isn't a pre-existing folder at the mount point. Eject / remove the drive and then open /Volumes in terminal and make sure that there is no directory there for the USB drive while the drive is not plugged in. If the directory is there without the drive, delete it (probably will need to sudo rm it).

6. eliotschreiner thread starter macrumors member

No, there weren't any extra volumes, and it still won't let me transfer files.