Permissions interpretation (in Terminal)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by furtographer, Jan 14, 2008.

1. furtographer macrumors newbie

[Leopard OS, recently upgraded from Tiger]

For some of my JPEG's, "ls -Fla" yields:
    drwxrwxrwx@... ...IMG_4762*

What's the "@" mean? And how did my JPEG's become executable? Are they really, or is it just an easy default permission?

These files are copied from a drive that can no longer boot, so I'm watching out for these things.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, the x permission isn't that uncommon for stuff that's just set to "all", so I wouldn't worry about that.

However, from the look of that output, that "image" is showing up as a directory (the "d"), which doesn't sound right (though would require it having execute permissions to open if it is). I'm not sure about what the @ is--were it at the end, I guess it'd mean it was a symlink, but I don't offhand remember seeing that in the past.

I'm not a unix jockey, however, so hopefully somebody else has a better description.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

@ tells you that there's some extended attributes attached to that file. @ is new in the Leopard terminal, although extended attributes have been around for some time. You can see what they are with the terminal command "xattr IMG_4762.jpg"

Any file can have executable permissions in Unix, doesn't mean it really is.