Resolved Permissions Issue Network Volume

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ac3320, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ac3320, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

ac3320 macrumors regular

ac3320

I am having a couple of issues with my "Data" external HD volume that I've setup as a poor-man's NAS (attached via USB to my AirPort Extreme)..

Lately I have been experimenting with the various media players for OS X and seeing which one works best for me (VLC, Perian + QT, and Plex). So I selected a random *.m2ts file (from a BD-rip) and then "Cmd + I" to "Get Info" for that movie. In the "Open With" drop-down menu I selected "Plex" (as Plex seems to do a better job streaming than VLC for this one particular mpeg stream file), and when I tried to change it to Plex, it reported that I could not change all files to open with such a program (which is what I was used to being able to do). See screenshots for some visual cues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ac3320 thread starter macrumors regular

ac3320

Okay, so first problem solved. I got a new replacement internal hard drive, so I had to reinstall everything, but I think my solution has worked independently of any 'fixes' a clean install would have provided (though, I can't be sure of that). Remember that I had the "Data" volume attached as an "AirDisk" to my AirPort Extreme. I had turned "Guest access" to read only mind you.

What I realized was that, all the while when I was connecting to the AirPort Extreme and mounting the "Data" volume, OS X was connecting me as a "guest". I think this is why I had all the read-only problems. So what I did was go into Keychain Access and delete all the keychains relating to all of my AirPort Utility passwords. After doing that, I clicked "Connect As..." once "AirPort Extreme" was highlighted in the Finder sidebar, and then it prompted me for a password, which I entered. Voila! I now have read/write access!

I am still looking for assistance as to what to write into the Applescript so that if/when I re-boot away from my home network, I don't want to get an error message saying that the volume is unavailable. I'm sure an AppleScript guru could tell me in one sentence what to put there. I tried searching for AppleScript avoid error message, but have not turned up anything useful yet :/