Permissions Issue with external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainCocoPop, Dec 1, 2008.

1. CaptainCocoPop macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've a 500gb Maxtor external HDD that I used to use solely with Windows, mainly to store multimedia on. My mac mounts the drive fine and I can copy from it, but I can't edit anything on the drive as apparently I don't have permission to.

Is there any way for me to change this? I've tried using Get Info and nothing permission related comes up.

Cheers!

2. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

My guess is that the drive is formatted as NTSF. Mac can read from it but not write to it. Mac can read and write to drives formatted as FAT32 as can Windows.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Try using MacFuse with NTFS-3G so that you can read and write NTFS. You must install MacFuse first then NTFS-3G.

4. CaptainCocoPop thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers

The drive isn't mounting with NTFS-3G installed. I uninstalled it and it still mounts read only fine, but every time I try with it installed it pops up an error saying it wasn't shut down properly or something and to try to forcefully mount it, which does nothing seemingly.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Can you access the drive from a Windows machine? If you can, try this:
    1. See if the drive mounts in Windows
    2. If it does, unmount it - do NOT just disconnect, use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the System Tray, or right-click the drive in Computer and choose Eject
    3. Install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G again
    4. Try to mount the drive again on your Mac

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Try what wrldwzrd89 said. I get this error occasionally if I power done Windows by holding the power button or if I unplug a drive from Windows without first using the safely remove hardware on the task bar.

You will also get a similar error if the drive is a Windows boot partition and you hibernate instead of shutting down.

7. CaptainCocoPop thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, working perfectly now that it has been properly ejected from Windows!