Permissions issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusious, Apr 3, 2009.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

So i run disk utility and i found out that i have lots of different permissions. So i clicked repair permissions. It doesn't matter how many times i do it. They keep appearing.

One of them has to do with iTunes. For example when a song is playing,i have set it up to show the whole time of the track. But everytime i launch the app it shows how much time is left counting backwards.

This is getting really annoying. I've tried repairing them with Onyx but it doesn't work either.

I have the latest OsX(10.5.6) and 55.71 free space from185GB (i don't know if this matters. My MBP freezes a lot and generally it runs very very slow).

Any suggestions please??

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If you boot of your OS X cd / dvd and run disk utility does it repair them?

3. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Try Cocktail and run all scripts in Pilot mode as illustrated below

Hope it helps!

Attached Files:

4. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Ok i inserted the dvd and hit c. I run disc utility but finally no,it didn't repair them.... Why is that happening?

darrenscerri why can this help?

5. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

By clearing all cache including iTunes'.

6. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I am having the same problem. I used both disk utility and Onyx, and they both do the whole repair permissions, and the same ones are always in the list. Does this matter? I can reload my last backup, but is it worth it? The only system changes I have made recently was deleting some PPC apps in my applications folder. I don't think this had an affect because the permissions are predominantly
    /system/library/coreservices/Frontrow.app
    /applications/iTunes/...
    /system/library/privateframeworks/iPhotoAccess
    :confused::confused:

7. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Dude,i have the exact same permission issues....:eek::confused:

8. maclobo macrumors newbie

Yep!

Does it look like this?

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RawCamera.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iLifeMediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/BlackAndWhiteEffect.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/CubeTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/DissolveTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/DropletTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/FadeThroughBlackTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/FlipTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/MosaicFlipTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/MosaicFlipTransitionSmall.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/PageFlipTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/PushTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/RevealTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/SepiaEffect.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/TwirlTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/WipeTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

This has been affecting hordes of users for over three weeks and Apple seems to be ignoring this very known issue. They must too busy with iPhone and iPods to give a damn. I've made a promise to myself to not buy anything from the Apps store until this issue is resolved, and then wait another 6 months after that--everyone should do the same and then maybe Apple will "just get their OS to work."

9. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Yea! I wonder, do you remember when that began happening. Was it after an update or something? The last time I repaired permissions on my HDD was back in late 2008, so I don't remember. Also, does it matter? If those permissions claim to need repair, what will be the actual effect it may have on the system?

10. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Well on iTunes it does what i described at my first post.

I don't quite remember when it started. It must be about 2 months or so...

Oh and it looks exactly like this...:mad:

11. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I completely forgot to mention this. I am sure you tried it, but if you just click on the number that is counting backwards, at least on my iTunes, it will switch between count backwards, and total song length.

12. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Yeah but this can be done until you quit itunes. Then you have to do it again:p

13. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Yea, I figured you were astute enough to figure out what I said, but you can't be too sure. To be honest, I didn't know about it changing when you start up the app again, I just use bowtie on my desktop. I wonder what other problems we are getting with those other permissions that are not repairing.

14. bindigok macrumors regular

I've had the same issues since I first got my new iMac. The first thing I did was run software update and it updated iLife 09, then I repaired permissions and the same issue. Now, after installing all of my software, I still get the same issue with it appearing to say it repaired permissions but it did not b/c each time it says they need repairing.

But I have no issues that need permissions repaired. I just repair them after I install software.

15. predsednic macrumors newbie

Same wrong permissions here...

My computer is behaving weird, lots of restarts needed.
    I think it happened when I installed new iLife and iWork.