Permissions need constant repair

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jpine, Aug 27, 2012.

1. jpine, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

jpine macrumors 6502

My hard drive permissions needs repairing every couple of days and there is usually a big long list of items that were repaired when the process is completed. Is there something wrong with my HD? There's too much valuable stuff to risk a failure, even though I do backups. I just don''t need the headache.

Oh, I'm running Lion.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Is there anything that is broken or you can't do because of permissions? If not don't worry about it. I have had some Java prefs output busted for years. No issues. You can usually safely ignore repetitive output if there is no residual issue.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:

4. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

The preferences aren't busted as much as the preference checker is busted. Unless there has been a recent fix a large bulk of the "issues" are because the system has problems recognizing symlinks to files are effectively OK.

Really any difference in the file metadata can set it off as a "permission" problem. What is defective is that the checking isn't really a "metadata checker" , it is something less than it should be so it spits out lots of false positives.

It is usually a good idea to run the "repair" after some Application install that may mess things up. Usually those are the ones that ask for an "administrator's password" when doing the install. It also a good sanity check to run it consistancy before (or after ) an OS update. Otherwise, there is no really good reason to run it periodically.

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

"busted output" was my definition of false positive. Being that the output is not really valid.

6. jpine thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll take a false positive over a false negative any day.

Thanks everyone! I'll keep a eye on it but not stress every time Drive Genius yellow flags my drive.