Permissions Nightmare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eljanitor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I've never seen so many permissions problems ever. I have a hard drive 10.6.8 and it has endless permissions errors. You run disk utility and the list never seems to get any shorter. After 5 hours of repairing disk permissions and the list not getting any smaller, I said this sucks done for today.

Short of doing a clean install is there a way to fix this so I don't have to sit here all day playing with this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:

3. eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Thanks, I'm finished playing with this drive anyways. Its clean install time I think. The drive is physically okay, just trashed.