Permissions of Admin Account?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willw77, Jun 30, 2008.

1. willw77 macrumors newbie

hello I'm a newbie to mac os i just got my new mbp 2 days ago and love it. Anyway I just created a standard account as my main account and an additional admin account. But have a few questions. Do i need to repair the permissions for added security? I was told if you didn't change the permissions for your apps to the admin account there wasn't really a point to creating a standard account. So what do I need to do? And how do I accomplish it?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Repairing permissions would be a good idea, but you only need to do this if you suspect that you have a permissions-related problem. It isn't a cure-all. That said, if you're going to be mucking with permissions, repairing them when you're done is a GREAT idea.

As for the admin account permissions, all you need to do is make sure that the standard user cannot write to the Applications folder. This is true by default, but you can easily verify this from the Finder. Go to your hard disk (named "Macintosh HD" by default) and select the Applications folder. Get Info on it (File -> Get Info or :apple:+I). Click the disclosure triangle where it says Ownership and Permissions. Do this on both accounts - the admin account should say "You can read and write" while the standard account should say "You can read only".