Permissions problem on a new i5

Discussion in 'iMac' started by crylic, Jan 12, 2012.

1. crylic macrumors newbie

So I just got a re-furbed i5 and it's pretty great. I used setup assistant as I was instructed and just transferred everything over from my old imac. it seemed to work fine, I had to go in a delete a few things, apps, some old system junk that came with it but i think overall it worked pretty good. I went and started to verify permissions with Disk Utility and there a a ton of permissions that need to be repaired, they mostly look like this:

Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/fi.lproj/UIAgent.nib”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are drw-r--r-- .

theres also one permission that says it can't be repaired because it's been modified. It shows up at the end of the scan. So I run repair and it runs through them but doesn't verify that they've been repaired. So i close DU and run it again, the same permissions show up as needing repair!?!?

What am I doing or what did I do wrong, theres no way a brand new mac (refurbed) should have permissions that need repairing, and these ones don't seem to even repair. What should I do??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. crylic thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems like all my permissions listed are not on that list but i got through to apple care and it seems i don't need to worry unless i start getting permissions errors when actually working with files etc. So just see how it goes i guess...stupid cause it's new but i guess thats just the risk when you transfer **** over from a 5 year old mac.

Thanks

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:

5. crylic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton GGJ, the 5 myths was enlightening!