Permissions problem.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Caris, May 9, 2009.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Right, i just upgraded the Hard Drive in my white Macbook today. So i put a fresh install of OSX on and put all my pictures, music, apps etc back on. After i had done everything i decided to check the permissions and repair any if needed.

As it was verifying the permissions loads came up that needed repaired. So when i clicked repair it all seemed to go fine, it doesn't say any couldn't be fixed or nothing. But i went to verify them again just to double check and they were all still there needed repaired again.

Does anyone know why this is?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

have you tried booting from your install dvd and repairing permissions from there? I can never repair mine when the computer is actually using the harddrive.

3. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I would follow on from stridemat.

I just spent a good portion of time trying to get my MBP back up n running cos it went all weird and permissions got screwed up. In the end, i made an image of the HD, onto an external. Wiped it, copied over bits that i needed, then reinstalled some of the apps. Now my MBP is running sweeter than ever!!

If i could recommend one thing, it would be go and get the install Disk repair permissions, or if you have another mac, then use that (putting your macbook in target disk mode- press T when it boots) and then repair permissions using disk utility on the other machine.. Thats what i did. Seems to of done the trick :)

PTP

4. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Just give it a shot from the disk then from the OS after and still no luck.

No chance this could be to the new Hard Drive being faulty or anything could it?

5. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

ironically enough, thats what the tech at my uni was saying.. that it might be a HD fault, or even the Logic board.

My situation was a bit different from yours, in that the system wouldnt boot at all. However i was able to get it into target disk mode and then repair permissions using that. it took 18hours nearly!! If you still have your old disk, i would back up everything you need, wipe the new drive and then see what can be done by reinstalling everything from scratch.. Although on second thoughts that is a bit extreme!

have you tried reinstalling but doing an archive and install. or creating new accounts??

Cheers
    PTP