Permissions Problems with 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netnothing, Aug 7, 2009.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just making people aware of this potential issue (since I know so many like to repair permissions).

Seems there may be an issue with 10.5.8 and incorrect permissions being set:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20090806095905196
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9946202#9946202

I personally notice it on both my machines, but don't exactly know the if it's really an issue or not since everything seems to be working fine.

Any guru's want to chime in and see if this is really a problem or a potential problem?

-Kevin

2. MacManiac777 macrumors member

I had this issue and decided to take action, one Apple discussion user mentioned that this is not normal and these errors should not be ignored. Re applying the combo updater got rid of these permission errors for me.

While updating a second computer I decided to watch the error log during installation. Many files reported this:
    Error getting stat info for "/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/_CodeSignature/CodeResources". Error 2: No such file or directory

Upon verifying permissions after installation I noticed that this and many others files which gave errors during installation were listed with the weird permission error.

Upon reinstalling the combo updater the stat info errors were no longer there, and verify/repair permissions no longer shows the errors.

I come to the conclusion that the method for getting the files stat info was being run too soon in the updater.

3. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I have that problem too...

Tried repairing permissions with onyx and disc utility... None worked... After that i verified my permissions and now i have a bunch of ?------- etc wrong permissions...

4. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

I updated the Apple Discussion forum with my results and I'll share here.

The problem:
    After applying the 10.5.8 Combo update, the permission database is not updated. If you VERIFY permissions after installing the Combo update, you'll notice a bunch entries looking for permissions to be set to ?---------. If you REPAIR permissions, it will actually set all those files to ---------.

I have no idea of what may happen because of this, or whether it needs to be fixed or not.

There are a couple fixes out there, but I took the safest path. I fixed this issue on both my Macs by simply REINSTALLING the 10.5.8 Combo update again TWICE.

Here's what I did:

The Fix:
    1) Installed the Combo 10.5.8 update again (this is the 2nd time installing the update)
    2) VERIFIED permissions - still incorrect (OPTIONAL)
    3) Installed the Combo 10.5.8 update again (this is the 3rd time installing the update)
    4) VERIFIED permissions - this time permissions correct no ?--------- entires.
    5) REPAIRED permissions - everything still correct

If you are looking to solve this, you don't have to VERIFY permissions after installing the update the first time, I was just doing it to see if they were still messed up.

So the key seems to be to apply the combo update twice in a row for the permissions database to be correct. You cannot REPAIR permission in between either.

I did this on both my Macs and both are fine, they don't report the ?--------- permissions anymore.

Because I REPAIRED permissions after that first initial 10.5.8 Combo update, I needed to install the Combo update TWICE more (for a total of 3 times). I'm guessing that if you just installed the Combo update, but haven't REPAIRED permissions yet, you can solve this by just re-installing the 10.5.8 Combo update again (for a total of 2 times). You can VERIFY permissions to check, since VERIFYING permissions don't not change the files.

As for anyone curious about the Time Machine backup after reinstalling the Combo update again, it does require the DeepNodeTraversal again, however, it only copies about 350MB of files, as opposed to the 2+GB after the first Combo install.

-Kevin

5. Lordedmond macrumors regular

Well
    I had/have the permission problem so d/l the combi update and installed the package on reboot i got no apple logo, but a black screen with the words "no bootable media found insert bootable media and press any key "

at least it did not say "no keyboard connected press F1 to continue ":rolleyes:

I have had to do a complete reinstall ,thank the big boss upstairs for backups

all seems fine now

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Ok so i did what kbmb said,exactly, and i have no ?----- permissions! Thanks dude!

Oh if you find out anything else about this issue please update this tread. :)

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I guess updating with the combo updater isn't 'more infallible'. An error in the combo updater?

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I think the error is in the installer for 10.5.8 in general.