Permissions Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Why does it say I have custom access? How do I fix this? I seem to be having problems not being able to have full access. (I am an administrator account.)

Attached Files:

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It looks like the ACLs are a bit borked. If you don't care about other users, you could disable permissions on the drive entirely.

3. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

4. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Here are my permissions now... (i think?) and I am also receiving a set of ~200 errors similar to the attached pictures.. What is the solution to this?

Attached Files:

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why don’t you repair disk permissions in Disk Utility?

6. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Is there a way to change the permissions for all files? I know there's a way to do it in terminal but I can't seem to find the exact line that I am supposed to answer.

7. Detrius macrumors 68000

That may fix the kernel extensions, but it won't touch the permissions at the root of the drive.

You absolutely do not want to do this on a boot volume. If you have succeeded, the proper course of action is an OS reinstall with a restoration from backup. You'll never get the permissions right otherwise.

Sounds like you may have already broken your system by changing permissions on something you shouldn't have. Hopefully, you only broke stuff that repairing permissions can fix. Also, you showed a picture of the permissions on one directory. Every other file and directory, visible or invisible, also has its own permissions. If you're this lost, you're likely going to be best off with wiping your system and restoring from a backup from before you broke it.

8. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I created a second account, and transferred my user library files over to that account. That fixed the permission problem. As for the errors, I don't know what they came from, but I went digging with finder to find these 22 files, and specifically deleted them and left everything else intact. Finally, it appears that my computer is completely back to normal and I have successfully installed my SSD.

Unfortunately, it took me two days of working on it 12+ hours each day to figure this out. Oh well! Everything is great now. Thanks for trying to help guys!

This process included clean installing Lion and even Snow Leopard multiple times. Disk repairs, verifying permissions, transferring files with CCC, and opening my MBP up 3 times to swap out the 2 HDD/SSD's a couple times. Although this all wasn't necessary, I wasn't sure which would fix it and which wouldn't. I also reset my RAM/PRAM or whatever with command, option, P and R.