Permissions Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crjackson2134, Jun 3, 2013.

1. crjackson2134, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Each time I verify/repair disk permission I get this error

Group differs on “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.

I wonder what keeps changing the permission status of this file, and how I should I address the issue (if at all). I've let disk utility repair this several times, but it keeps coming back.

Suggestions?

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried deleting "com.apple.alf.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet? It will be recreated upon need.

Why do you repair permissions in the first place?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

4. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

First of all, Repair Permissions ALWAYS reports that some files "should be" something else, but doesn't do anything about it. All is well: you can ignore that.

Secondly: the presence of Recovered Files has nothing to do with Permissions, but is to do with poor housekeeping by some apps. On reboot, those files are put into the Trash as "recovered files". This is not something you need to worry about or do anything about, short of emptying the trash. OS X has already done the tidying up.

6. crjackson2134, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Okay, thanks for the information, that's what I was hoping for.

----------

Thanks for the link. I think it's probably something I can ignore, but I wanted to ask more seasoned OSX users to make sure I haven't got a symptom of another problem I haven't considered.

----------

No I haven't, but I might do that just to see what happens.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

That plist file is in /Library/Preferences (top level of hard drive), not ~/Library/Preferences, (user Library folder).

8. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Gotcha... I believe it's just the Firewall Preferences anyway.