Permissions Question

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Each time I verify/repair disk permission I get this error

Group differs on “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.

I wonder what keeps changing the permission status of this file, and how I should I address the issue (if at all). I've let disk utility repair this several times, but it keeps coming back.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have you tried deleting "com.apple.alf.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet? It will be recreated upon need.

Why do you repair permissions in the first place?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.
Disk Utility repairs the permissions for files installed by the Mac OS X Installer, Software Update, or an Apple software installer. It doesn’t repair permissions for your documents, your home folder, and third-party applications. You can verify or repair permissions only on a disk with Mac OS X installed.
Does Disk Utility check permissions on all files? Files that aren't installed as part of an Apple-originated installer package are not listed in a receipt and therefore are not checked. For example, if you install an application using a non-Apple installer application, or by copying it from a disk image, network volume, or other disk instead of installing it via Installer, a receipt file isn't created. This is expected. Some applications are designed to be installed in one of those ways. Also, certain files whose permissions can be changed during normal usage without affecting their function are intentionally not checked.
If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I was repairing because every time I reboot the system, the trashcan was placing a Recovered Files folder in there. Repairing the permissions fixed the problem, but as a result, I noticed the reoccurring instances of the stated error.
First of all, Repair Permissions ALWAYS reports that some files "should be" something else, but doesn't do anything about it. All is well: you can ignore that.

Secondly: the presence of Recovered Files has nothing to do with Permissions, but is to do with poor housekeeping by some apps. On reboot, those files are put into the Trash as "recovered files". This is not something you need to worry about or do anything about, short of emptying the trash. OS X has already done the tidying up.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
First of all, Repair Permissions ALWAYS reports that some files "should be" something else, but doesn't do anything about it. All is well: you can ignore that.

Secondly: the presence of Recovered Files has nothing to do with Permissions, but is to do with poor housekeeping by some apps. On reboot, those files are put into the Trash as "recovered files". This is not something you need to worry about or do anything about, short of emptying the trash. OS X has already done the tidying up.
Okay, thanks for the information, that's what I was hoping for.

----------

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps. If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.
Thanks for the link. I think it's probably something I can ignore, but I wanted to ask more seasoned OSX users to make sure I haven't got a symptom of another problem I haven't considered.

----------

Have you tried deleting "com.apple.alf.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet? It will be recreated upon need.

Why do you repair permissions in the first place?
No I haven't, but I might do that just to see what happens.

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
That plist file is in /Library/Preferences (top level of hard drive), not ~/Library/Preferences, (user Library folder).