Permissions question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by ewoh24, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ewoh24 macrumors regular

I have a problem where I have a share that exists at the root with a bunch of ACLs. The actual volume is not shared out, just a subfolder.

The ACLs all exist with Read/Write (Could this be the issue? Should they have Full control at this level?) and I have propagated them, but NOT the POSIX permissions. Whenever a user creates a new file they become the owner in POSIX permissions which locks the file to all the ACL users so then I have to go and propagate the permissions again to unlock the file. I'm in a Mac/Windows environment and this seems to be screwing the Windows up, not so much the Macs because the Mac users go in and change the POSIX permissions to themselves. Are ACLs not enabled? I thought they were by default in Leopard server? I know I'm just missing something as far as ACLs work but I definitely want the ACLs to override the POSIX permissions.

I'm sure this is quite simple but I'm having a tough time here.

Thanks for any help.

2. ewoh24 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe there's a simpler way to do what I'd doing, now that I think about it. The users I have added as ACLs all have the same permissions for the folders and files. What if I make a group and just add them as read/write to POSIX groups? The only thing I'm concerned about doing that is the group would be pulled from Active Directory. Will this cause any issues?