Permissions question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by moussekateer, Aug 20, 2010.

1. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Right this isn't a big deal but I'm intrigued by this behaviour. I recently set my phone up as new but copied over the camera roll from my backup. I copied it over onto the new phone but noticed problems straight away. The camera wouldn't save pictures and kept hanging on certain things. Straight away I knew it was a permissions problem but why? The permissions on the photos folder was 644 before and I had to change it to 777 to get normal behaviour.

Why did the phone work before with 644 permissions but need elevated 777 permissions on the new phone?

2. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Permissions are set as follows:
    • Media - 750
    • DCIM - 750
    • 100Apple - 700
    • Files contained in 100Apple - 644

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like a bug with either itunes or the firmware.
    Pics have been acting funny with many people either not showing up on the roll, or showing up all black on thumbnails etc...

4. moussekateer thread starter macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yea I saw but like I said I just carried those folders over with the permissions intact and it wouldn't work. I have to set 777 permissions on ALL the files in the Media directory to get the camera roll to work properly.

Yea those are some of the problems I saw but were all fixed after changing the permissions. I just don't understand why they needed to be changed.

5. scottuf macrumors 6502

problem isn't with permissions, but ownership. all items in the User folder need to be set to mobile as owner and group.

chown mobile:mobile -R file_or_folder_name