Permissions repair issues

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
384
1
This what I get when I repair permissions (even if i run it twice in a row):

Repairing permissions for “iBook Backup”
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays. New permissions are 16893
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles. New permissions are 16893
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Permissions repair complete


What is the deal with "using special..." It makes it sound like it is fixing the same thing every time I repair permissions. Or, am I reading it wrong, and is that just an informative message it is giving every time I perform a permissions repair? Any ideas?
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
mattraehl said:
...
What is the deal with "using special..." It makes it sound like it is fixing the same thing every time I repair permissions. Or, am I reading it wrong, and is that just an informative message it is giving every time I perform a permissions repair? Any ideas?
It's just noting special permissions. I believe there would be additional messages if the permissions actually had to be fixed.

All the ones listed are ones that have been changed by security updates.
 
Comment

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
repair permission fixes colorsync

When I ran the repair permission for my 15" PBs, it fixes the same ColorSync things. I don't know why it does fix every time I run the repair permission. My new 12" PB does not show any fixing when I ran the repair permission. Does anyone know why the repair permission is fixing that colorsync? I think my PBs' repair permission started doing that after installing Quicksilver freeware. I did not download that to my 12" PB.
 
Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
YS2003 said:
When I ran the repair permission for my 15" PBs, it fixes the same ColorSync things. I don't know why it does fix every time I run the repair permission. My new 12" PB does not show any fixing when I ran the repair permission. Does anyone know why the repair permission is fixing that colorsync? I think my PBs' repair permission started doing that after installing Quicksilver freeware. I did not download that to my 12" PB.
Does your 12" PB have the latest security update installed? If not, this is probably the difference as the colorsync permissions change was introduced in a recent update.
 
Comment

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
Bear said:
Does your 12" PB have the latest security update installed? If not, this is probably the difference as the colorsync permissions change was introduced in a recent update.
I think all of my PBs are patched with the security updates. My 15" PBs are running 10.3.8. My 12" PB is running 10.3.7. Is fixing Colorsync thing good when you run a repair permission? The repair permission fixes the same Colorsync thing everytime you run it, though (even after I ran the repair permission).
 
Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
YS2003 said:
I think all of my PBs are patched with the security updates. My 15" PBs are running 10.3.8. My 12" PB is running 10.3.7. Is fixing Colorsync thing good when you run a repair permission? The repair permission fixes the same Colorsync thing everytime you run it, though (even after I ran the repair permission).
Actually it doesn't necessarily mean it's repairing them, it means it's using special permissions.

Anyway, the different OS X version is probably the reaosn for the differences.
 
Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,107
75
Solon, OH
I would like to see a change in the permissions repair utility that redirects these messages to a log viewable in the Console and avoids unnecessarily duplicating them in the logs on subsequent permission repairs. This would neatly sidestep this issue while still providing the information for the curious and not wasting disk space with superfluous log entries.
 
Comment

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.