Permissions to delete Microsoft Office files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jacedeuce, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Jacedeuce macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a problem with office where it gave a warning message on startup that "there is a problem with office database." I found a solution for that which requires deleting the "microsoft user data" folder from documents.

I was unable to delete this folder due to insufficient permissions so I ran "sudo chmod -R 744 ~/Documents." Now, when I try to delete the file my computer makes the "trash" noise but the folder remains.

I'm totally lost at this point, please help.

2. Jacedeuce thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I don't know if this matters but when I check the permissions it appears like this:

[​IMG]

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Instead of deleting the folder, you should see if you can fix the database. Run the Microsoft Database Utility from the folder Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/. Select the repair option from there, and let it do its thing. If you don't use Entourage, this probably won't take too long -- a couple of minutes or so. If you do use Entourage, it'll take longer, depending on how much stuff you've got in Entourage.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. Jacedeuce thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but I have an identical problem to the one discussed here

I need to delete the files to fix the problem. I already ran sudo and now the computer makes the paper crumpling noise when I try to delete the folder, but the folder remains in place.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Then you're going to need to do it from the Terminal. The command to delete a file is "rm filename", the command to delete a folder is "rmdir foldername". If you're not comfortable with mucking about in the Terminal, you might want to make an appointment with the Genius at your friendly local Apple Store.

Regards,
    Nadyne.