Permissions...we don't need no stinking permissions!

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Hi all, just bumped up OSX with the latest Update and as always I check the permissions out of habit, all seems well, except Safari seems to be slow to load the home page...but that may be my imagination, don"t know!
Well, not just the last check gut all of my checks give me this message, seems nothing is "fixed' as it appears everytime I do a check...anyone jnow whats going on?

Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060

Permissions verification complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

I am running a G5 iMac, 20" , 1.8, OSX 10.4.2, 768 M RAM, 160 G HD

Thanks again!
R

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I have the exact same problem on my computer. I recently reinstalled Tiger and everything has been going fine. I'm not particularly worried about it.

cbiffle

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
Tempe, AZ
I don't remember precisely, but the "We are using special permissions" messages note exceptions to the overall permissions rules, and *may* appear every time.

Moreover, though, permissions won't cause Safari to run slowly. A lot of folks recommend repairing permissions if performance flags...repairing them is prudent, certainly, but it ain't gonna help. :)

(Speaking as an old Unix wonk here.)

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
This isn't a problem, and you'll see it each time you repair your permissions. Note that those permissions aren't being changed when you repair your permissions, you're simply getting a notification that the permissions are specially configured in certain cases.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
To err is human. To Repair is to Verify. It may be easier to get forgiveness than Permissions. :cool:
X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.