permissions.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by farmerdoug, Jan 24, 2012.

1. farmerdoug macrumors 6502a

I work with several MACS- all interconnected. How to I give every machine permission to share everything with everybody?

2. simsaladimbamba

Doesn't System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing work for you and adding the folders and/or HDDs to the Shared Folder entry field?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Be careful about file sharing. If you add a folder to network sharing, it requires permissions. What's better is to forget about sharing. Simply enable sharing in system preferences and stop there. If a user wants to get to files on Machine A, they browse to machine a in finder, pick connect as and log in as the user whose files they need. This way they can see everything. But if you spend time changing filesystem permissions to allow sharing of everything to everybody, you are going about this in a way which could lead to lingering file system permission problems.

For instance, say you want to share your home folder. Normally, home folders are only read/write/execute by the user that owns them. So you tell OS X to share your home folder on the network and it warns you but you go ahead anyway. Now you have had to add group and other permissions to your home folder. In a Unix environment this is a very insecure very bad practice.

Say you have two users on one machine who need to "share files." The most convenient way of doing this is to use a "shared" folder with wide open permission that isn't in either user's home folder. Again it keeps prying eyes out of each user's home folder. You could make the shared folder visible on the network for each machine so you have a multi tiered sharing strategy. If a user knows in advance they want to share a file, they toss it in the shared folder where everybody can see it. If they realize later on they want to get to a file across the network, they log in as themselves from another mac and they can see everything just as if they were sitting at their own machine. Another good practice is to have each user's account on each machine so they can log in as themselves wherever they are sitting.

hope this helps...

4. farmerdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

I work in a research group. I have a folder containing over 50 thousand files and folders in it. I just moved a single folder over from one machine to another without problems using the public folder. On the new machine, the folder has a locked folder. I can't keep stopping to unlock every folder I need access to. Can I use chmod recursively on the first machine to allow complete access on the second?