Permissions...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pim1234, Dec 9, 2012.

1. pim1234 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard server.
    I tried to set up an FTP server, but my paranoia told me to restrict everyone's access, so I put everyone on no access, then, however, I realised I might want to give administrator and pim read + write access, but I must've made a mistake.

The result was that I could not do anything, so I tried what often works just fine: reboot.

Right now I have one Macbook Pro 5,5 that does not start, it just stays at the Apple logo with the loading circle.

What I've tried (with the boot cd):
    - Disk Utility; Repair disk permissions.
    - Reset password; reset password + permissions for my account + for root.
    - Upgrading to Snow Leopard, but that did NOT work, because it couldn't be installed on the drive...

Would it be possible to get it all to work again, without loosing my data?

Regards,
    Pim

2. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

not sure up to what extent the permissions got changed but the only thing that might work is to restore from backup, to get the right permissions.

... or something that I would do if I'm really desperate is to boot from CD and from terminal, change the permissions to add "rwx" for "ugo" just to get it up and running.

good luck, sorry I can't help much

3. pim1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, I do not have any working backups (Time Capsule isn't working properly for me), so that's not an option.

I tried to add rwx, but that didn't work.
    Here's the result:
    http://db.tt/2jTz7FX3

Would you happen to have any other ideas?

Regards,
    Pim

4. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i think you tried to change the permission of the boot device. Can you run this commands

diskutil list

mount

post the results here or PM me.

thanks

5. pim1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

7. pim1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Even if you get it to work with changing permissions to rwx you can't rely on the OS anymore, if you change the whole disk with this everyone has access to it.
    Dangerous stuff.

If you want your files back invest a bit of money or use a external HDD if you have one.
    What I would recommend is, use a 160 GB external, install OS X on it, start up from there and run Migration Assistant to import from the other disk, or just drag the home folder to the new disk on the desktop and manually put the files in place.

Your current HDD is not broken, the permissions are what's messed up and you'll probably never get it back to the old state.

Note: 160 Gb or more, I think I see your internal disk is 160 GB now in screenshot.

9. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i think he's just trying to get it up and running so that he can either get his data back or restore from his backup ... no one said this is not dangerous ;)

----------

i'll have to check it later, dropbox is not allowed in our network

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The point is he doesn't really say if he has one, he says no working back up whatever that means.

If he has a non bootable backup there should be room to Install a clean OS X onto and then boot from there.

If he does not have a backup and wants his files back he needs to have an external source.

See what I did here?

He could also install OS X on a 8 GB USB stick and try to recover his files but I guess it is more than a couple of GB.

Point is, always have a bootable backup, in this case TimeMachine doesn't even work and Carbon Copy Cloner does a much better job.

11. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

all in a hindsight and monday morning quarterbacking. the guy needs help getting the data back from the original disk. if this "dangerous" act will get him going to at least get the most important thing, his data, I say so be it. You can always restrict the permissions after, but only after you have full access to them.

so shall we both recommend some helpful ways for him to get going instead of saying what he should and should not have done. just a thought

12. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

You have to cd and do the chmod on "/Volumes/Mac", that is your local disk where your OS is supposed to be installed.

as indicated by justperry, you shouldn't run like this for an extended period. once you get the machine up and running, make sure to fix the permissions asap.

good luck

13. pim1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Thanks a lot for helping me.

I've resolved the issue already.
    What I did was (after I repaired the disk with Disk Utility), boot with cmd+s, and then use the following commands:

mount -uw /
    chmod 775 /

Which did the trick for me.

Regards,
    Pim

14. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

good for you ... you might want to run the the permission fix again just in case. there are some files that needs a sticky bit and some view giving group write access a security whole.