Permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BoxerBoy, Apr 1, 2013.

1. BoxerBoy macrumors member

Progressively over the past week or so my MBP developed all sorts of niggles and eventually major problems, rendering it virtually unusable.

I remembered something a techie told me about repairing permissions, so I thought I would risk doing this, even though I wasn't sure of what I was doing.

I am pleased to say that everything now seems fine, even iPhoto which had long behaved erratically, now works really well.

My question is, what are "permissions" and why do they occur and affect my Mac so severely. What happens when they are repaired

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

3. BoxerBoy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information GGJstudios, I note that much is said about repairing permissions not being of benefit.

All I can say is, my Mac was a mess last night, with a growing list of all sorts of problems, all my photos vanished, the apps in the dock wouldn't respond, continual spinning beach balls appeared regularly, plus all sorts of other problems.

I repaired the permissions and now my mac is as good as new. A touch of beginners luck maybe.:)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not luck. There are times when repairing permissions is certainly called for, as appears to be the case with your situation. My post wasn't to suggest you shouldn't have repaired permissions, but rather, to give you more information about what it does and doesn't do, and when it is and isn't appropriate.

5. BoxerBoy thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate that, many thanks for your help.