Perpetual Backlog for iPhone X like AirPods?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdonisSMU, Sep 20, 2017.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

Will this be the same situation like the AirPods where it’s like a full year of not being caught up with demand?

Higher prices and perpetual backlog is Apples new MO.

2. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

It will be interesting if the production capacity is really as low as they say and it's quickly pushed back to early next year, as there will be a flock of people upset in September when their 6 month old device becomes old news.

No way of us knowing what the supply vs demand looks like quite yet though.

3. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 604

All signs point to this being an AirPods type of situation. Where Apple won’t be able to meet demand before the next iPhones come out next year.

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I wonder what they are trying to fix before starting manufacturing... is it hardware? Or is it software?
    Maybe they are getting In-Display TouchID hardware in the X, but are keeping it disabled until they can get software issues sorted out... that would be worth waiting for.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I don't think the X will be anything like airpods as far as backlog. Too many differences, mainly price and life cycle.

Once the X gets about 6 months in, as with any other phone. It's time to start weighing if it makes sense to wait for the next device.

With Airpods. They are a lot cheaper to begin with so more people are willing to buy them. Also with headphones the tech doesn't change as fast so if I didn't already have a pair. I could see myself buying the current airpods a year from now.

6. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 604

Welp! Based on the latest news Apple will likely be unable to meet demand until sometime in the middle of next year which points to June. That's just two months away from the next iPhone launch. This is pretty much perpetual backorders.

7. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I will probably cancel my preorder if my delivery date gets pushed out past January 2018 and keep my current phone until the next cycle.

The latest report mentioned the middle of Apple's fiscal year, which runs from October 1 to September 30. The middle of Apple's FY would be March 2018.