Persistant Wireless Network Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doctajay, Mar 21, 2008.

1. doctajay macrumors member

I'm really not a computer novice at all. I'm pretty good at figuring things out, but this wireless network problem is killing me. I have a 2.2 GHZ MBP (Santa Rosa) and lately it has been having lots of with the wireless internet on my laptop. At first I thought it was my wireless router, so I went out and bought an Airport Extreme wireless router. And still, there are many times where my laptop will randomly loose the connection, even though my router is sitting 3 inches from it. The weird part is that MY WINDOWS DESKTOP connects to the bloody Airport Extreme fine, and it never drops the connection.

I thought I had heard somewhere that MBPs have wireless networking problems. Is this just another case of that existing problem or is this completely abnormal. The problem can't be my router because the windows connects fine. Its just my laptop.

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

yes, this is an existing problem. search the forums. my problems stopped with 10.5.2.

3. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

dunno about it being fixed...I have a brand spanking new (not even 12 hours old) MBP and 1TB TC and my connection drops regularly throughout the day. AFAIK (I'm new to Mac) I updated everything there is to update and let the two devices configure themselves and I'm still getting connection drops. Someone plz pipe in with words of wisdom if there is a cure...

4. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I had the exact same problem with my C2D 20" iMac. It would randomly drop the connection to the wireless network. I'm running 10.5.2 and it was still doing it until the Time Machine and Airport updates yesterday. Now it is perfect. It used to drop signal at least 5 times a day. Now not once since the updates. I am using an Airport Express. Did you do the Time Machine and Airport updates yesterday?

5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

You pay premium for an Apple machine. Apple should fix this by replacing your laptop or give you a refund. This problem is ok to have on a 400 dollar PC bottom line machine but is absolutely unacceptable on an upscale machine such as MBP. Apple's support should be helpful, though...

6. Azmordean macrumors 6502

You are right, BUT, I think the others above you are correct. This sounds like a software issue to me.

7. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

BTW, my friend having this problem changed his network from WEP to WPA which also fixed it.

8. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

I'm using WPA and having connection drops as well...dunno what the fix is

9. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

i have not had a single problem with my wireless connection both at home and at work. At home i'm using a linksys wrtl54gl w/ tomato firmware. i'm unsure what routers we have at work.

10. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

It most likely is a software issue, BUT that does not make the situation better because the software is manufactured by the same company so there is nowhere else to go for support other than Apple.

At the very least, the thread starter should call in Apple and let them know about the issue. Plus, from the posts, it sounds that not all computers are having the same issue, so Apple replacing it might fix it in that particular case.

11. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Same here, my wireless dies every few minutes, on loads of different wireless networks. Closing the lid of the laptop (MBP 15" 2.16GHz Core Duo) and opening it again usually gets me back up and running... i thought it was a hardware malfunction until i read others had problems too...

What's weird is, this started happening all of a sudden, not right after any updates to the machine.