Persistent 1002 error - third-party solution?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CoffeeMonkey, Apr 6, 2011.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

If I don't want to use a the iPhone as a phone anymore, and just want to use it as a Touch, does it make sense to use one of the "jailbreak" programs to try to get past a persistent 1002 error? If so, which one?

I was was using my 3GS, put it in my coat, and 5 minutes later when I tried to use it again, it showed that symbol that it needed to be hooked to iTunes. Every time I try to restore it, the bar looks like it is 1 hair away from being full, it hangs, and I get a 1002 error.

I took it to the Genius Bar, and after trying 3 times to restore it, they couldn't. But the genius said that it is a software error, and there is nothing wrong with the phone, so I am hesitant to just toss it.

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

If it almost finishes, and you get the error and the phone goes back into DFU/Recovery mode (either a black screen, or a iTunes symbol and a USB cord), then you should be able to kick your phone out of recovery mode using TinyUmbrella. You don't need to jailbreak to my knowledge.

Although I've never dealt with this particular error code.

3. Knackersjewels macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my 3Gs when i tried to downgrade to 4.2.1 from 4.3.1. it is actually just stuck in an infinite recovery loop, and tinyumbrella wont work. i used some thing called 4.2.1exit recovery. it used green poison to break the loop, and allow access to the phone =)

4. aegunnels macrumors newbie

where did you download the 4.2.1 exit recovery? I am having the error 1002 message also and my iphone 3gs is stuck in recovery mode. TU cannot kick it out of recovery so i was going to try something else