Persistent Airport Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SirContumacious, Apr 3, 2009.

1. SirContumacious macrumors newbie

SirContumacious

A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I purchased a new UMB and a new UMBP, respectively. At first, everything worked flawlessly, however her MacBook has developed an Internet connectivity issue. Symptoms:

- Connects fine when first started up or restarted
    - Connects automatically when awaken from sleep however Internet is unavailable.

We have (not in any particular order):

1) Repaired permissions
    2) Rebooted and reconfigured network
    3) Bought a new router
    4) Cleared PRAM
    5) Set Airport to connect before ethernet, bluetooth, etc.

What else can we try? The problem only exists when the MB is awoken from sleep. We have to either 1) troubleshoot via the network troubleshoot button in Safari or connect and disconnect from the network via the menu bar item several times. Remember, we can connect to the network but the Internet itself is unavailable. Once we run the network troubleshooter, the Internet is restored perfectly. It never finds anything wrong and tells us the connection is working perfectly.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd be interested to know if you figure out a solution to this one. Since long ago I've had a similar, and possibly related, issue on my 1st get MBP17 wherein after waking from sleep the wireless network sometimes (~20% of the time) just won't reconnect. Turning Airport off then back on in the menu bar will almost always kick it in immediately (it occasionally takes twice, which I take to mean that the issue occurs upon powering up Airport, which normally happens only after waking the computer from sleep).

The difference in my case is that the network doesn't show under the Airport menu at all, even though it's available and working fine, rather than showing as connected but actually not being.

Now, I used to have the same problem you're describing occurring randomly during the day when the computer was awake and active, but I eventually figured out that it was related to my network using a channel that overlapped with another nearby one. I don't think that has anything to do with this wake-from-sleep issue (particularly since yours stayed through a router change).

3. SirContumacious thread starter macrumors newbie

SirContumacious

Right, these cases do seem related. I have been searching ever since I posted this thread a few days ago, yet have found nothing. Actually, I should say I have found no answers, but plenty of people with the same issue.

It seems as though no one knows what to do. My girlfriend has to shut her computer down completely and then start it, instead of using the sleep function. Very irritating.....

4. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

assumption...and an obvous suggestion

you did call apple support on this, right? These are all new products an should be covered. perhaps they are defective. Regardless, make the call

1-800-275-2273 in the usa. Or make an appointment with the genius at your closest apple store.

BTW, I have had so many issues with my MBP that during the last year Apple has effecively given me a nw computer: replaced the logic board, Hard drive, charger, battery. Good luck.