Persistent Apple anomolies that really bug me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cupalup, Jun 4, 2010.

1. cupalup macrumors newbie

In many ways, it's as if Apple products are made by completely different companies that just follow some basic guidelines or something.

Why is it called Address Book on my Mac but Contacts on my iPad/iPhone?

Why does hitting enter allow me to change the file name in all applications except iTunes where it opens the file (starts playing)?

Why does the contextual menu sometimes say 'Show in Finder', sometimes 'Show original file', sometimes 'Reveal in Finder'?

Why is hitting Escape like clicking 'Cancel' except in iCal where it's like clicking 'OK'?

I know there's more, but that's all I can think of for now. Why are Apple's products so inconsistent? It really bugs me!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It wouldn't be OS X without some little bugs....

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nice to see some proper constructive criticism with actual achievable goals for a change.

I suggest submitting feedback through the apple website.

Nothing will probably happen but this stuff is better than the age old whinges from the techie geeky brigade whining about this and that.

Inconsistencies are a real problem for real, actual end users which, unfortunately, anyone who frequents a web forum is not. We forget this sometimes here at MR.

Submit the feedback to Apple, I spend all day answering the same questions over and over again which could be solved by Apple making something do the same thing in the same way across all their apps.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ha! I have always wondered how the "Reveal in finder" thing made it through, for an OS that's supposed to be all about continuity through use, that seems like a glaring error :p But in the grand scheme of things, is it really that big of a deal? Probably not.

5. cupalup thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, it's not that big a deal, but it is annoying and is surely very simple to rectify.

I always wonder what Apple employees use because, if they used Macs, surely they'd notice this same irritating things and do something about them.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm sure that the people at Apple use Macs. I used to work in software development, and we had quite a few oddities like the ones you describe. However, there were often reasons why we couldn't change them; sometimes the apps were developed separately and they had good reasons for the choices they made.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because this is expected behavior from a music player, and was established well before iTunes came along.