HomePod Persistent connection between HomePod and iPhone?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by random-uk, May 24, 2019.

1. random-uk macrumors newbie

random-uk

Does anyone know if it's possible to maintain a persistent connection between a HomePod and iPhone? The use case being airplay 2 an audiobook (or music for that matter) from my iPhone to my HomePod - if I pause the playback, if I try and resume playback after 30 mins or so, I have to reconnect via the airplay 2 menu as my iPhone output has gone back to it's internal speaker. This is when both devices are sitting next to each other.

Any thoughts gratefully received

2. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

Ted13

There clearly is no way to do it. While it can be annoying with the iPhone, for anyone using the HomePod as their AppleTV speakers it is very, very bad. Apple either need to come up with a HomePod SoundBar with can be attach via cable to the user's TV, or they need a way to permanently enable a connection to AirPlay 2

3. random-uk thread starter macrumors newbie

random-uk

Ah glad it wasn’t just me missing something! Yes, it would be great if apple added an option for this feature

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

what happens if you pause it by voice on the homepod? What happens when you tell it to play again? I don't do audiobooks, but the way airplay 2 is supposed to work is it gets the stream from the source once it's played. So I could start music on my phone and put the output to homepod, then swipe apple music away on my phone and it still continues. I can tell the homepod to pause and play later and it picks up where it left off. Curious if audiobook's do the same?