Personal Accident Insurance - Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ktbubster, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Hello all.

Who here has a good suggestion for a company to get Personal Accident Insurance through? I've heard the plans for this are pretty cheap monthly but with all the crap on the internet, i'd love some personal recommendations.

I got let go a few weeks ago and am moving back to Illinois shortly and my benefits only carry till the end of the month.

With that said... I am going to be looking for a job and freelancing in the mean time, and I don't exactly have too much hope of getting a full time job again immediately so I'm looking for just some personal accident insurance (broken leg etc etc... to pay the bills if i end up in the hospital for something like that) to cover the time period in between jobs.

I don't need full health coverage, since the chances of me coming down with some crazy illness i never noticed before (i'm 24, in good physical shape and generally not a run to the doctor with the sniffles sort of person) or something along those lines is pretty slim (please do not flame me for all the possibilities that could happen) so I just want to make sure I'm covered incase I end up in the hospital from a fall or something.

SOOO with all the freelancers on this forum, i'm sure there are people here who have experience with good Personal Accident Insurance plans so I'm looking for suggestions for companies etc. since when I google it just seems like I get a bunch of scams and i'd rather have personal experiences weigh in.

THANKS in advance.

2. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

4. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Well, I'd suggest that you go through a local independent insurance agent. They have the rates from multiple companies at their fingertips, and should be able to give you good advice. After all, if they don't make you happy, they've lost a customer - permanently. If if they do make you happy, then they can hope that you'll come back to them in the future.

That having been said, don't make a decision as soon as he/she gives you the info. Take the rate information, go home, get on Google and see what you come up with. If you find something that looks better, go back, ask him questions, and then buy your insurance. My point is that he/she is interested in having you as a customer - but probably still isn't quite as interested as you are in finding you the best rate.

I just went through this whole rigamarole buying life insurance - and the bottom line is that if it costs $300 instead of $200, he's just never going to care quite as much as you do!

5. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

thanks for the replies. Anyone else who actually has personal accident insurance and has good experience with a plan or company that would be great too!

6. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

AFLAC

I broke my foot last year and they paid out approx $500 to me.

My total output monitarily was $75 for the emergency room visit and another $75 for 3 co-pays to my foot doctor.

I have all the coverage AFLAC offers through work, which is accident, cancer, short term disability, but you can get AFLAC as an individual. I pay about $8 a month for the accident coverage.

Also, I get paid $60 each year for a physical [or for one of their other listed preventative procedures],

The money that they throw at you is downright silly! I am definitely a believer in the company and as far as insurance goes, I have no problem paying my premium for their coverage.

Here is the Individual coverage page:
    https://www.aflac.com/us/en/individuals/AccidentDisability.aspx