Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelb727

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
Been with ATT for 17+ years. Former grandfathered customer on both my wife's and my lines. Moved to NEXT yesterday after much thought. Honestly, I was an idiot because we've only upgraded our iPhones every three years, so as not too loose the ability to upgrade when we were compelled by an iPhone we thought worthy. So that means that for two years over the past six, I've been overpaying for our devices to ATT.

Never again. Lower bill. Flexibility to upgrade each year if we want to. No hidden costs or overpaying for devices. Flexibility to bump up my data plan "on an as needed basis" if I think i'm going to be over 10gb (and we've been throttled before). Plus, my wife and I (even with robust traveling schedules) seem to jump from wifi to wifi in our daily lives.

I like that there are more choices now.

wesselya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Howd you save so much? I have unlimited and its telling me that if I switch to 6gb Ill only save ~$10/m.

I use about 4gb-6gb per month, one time I went 7gb last year. Am I missing something and its worth it to switch? Or should I stick to unlimited?

Mostly worth it if you go 10GB or more. What plan do u have and what do you pay? mobile share is what the name means. SHARE. HArd to justify on one line find a buddy :)

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
What happens when you start using more data? Especially with these bigger iPhones I expect people to have a huge uptick in data usage. When I went from iPhone 5, to note 2 I jumped from 3gb per month, to 8gb per month. Basing usage on historical habits before you have a phablet may lead to a rude surprise when you open that AT&T bill.

I will hang onto my unlimited plan.
Same here. I didn't usually use more than 2GB on my iPhone 3GS and later 4S, but there are some months when I use as much as 20GB. And at one point I got an HTC Rezound on Verizon, and based on my usage, I would've hit about 6GB a month using Android + 4G LTE. I've already used over 5GB this month with my 6 Plus.

Even if most people don't go over the supposed 5GB of unthrottled data on AT&T each month, unlimited is a good insurance policy.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I'm sure each case is different but it is worth doing the math. I held on to and guarded my unlimited iPhone plan but by doing so thew away approximately $3000 over the last 5 years.

The only device I own that really uses 3-4 GB of data per month is my iPad and then only when I travel....It is the device I grab when I'm on LTE and need real internet service. I use it even in Hotels or airports that have wifi. LTE can be much faster than some "free" wifi services. When I lose power at home from storms, it is my iPad that keeps me informed of threats. I have used Netflix but only on the iPad.

It was hard for me to do, letting go of the unlimited plan. If ATT offered tethering, I would probably have a wifi only iPad and would have continued my unlimited service. Maybe when Sprint coverage improves, I do just that....an iPhone with unlimited and wifi devices sharing it.

If you use 10GB+ as some have stated then I totally get it. I could never stare at a phone screen for 10GB worth of anything.

wesselya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Don't have T mobile coverage in my house I need to walk down the street for 1 bar :(

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I wanted to apologies for saying ATT next plan is stupid and 2 year contract is the only way to go. I was grandfathered on two of my lines on unlimited plans and I was paying close to 180-$190 for 3 line old family plan.

I was hard headed and set that UNLIMITED WAS THE BEST! After seeing that I maybe use 4GB myself and my other two lines barely use any data. All three of us peak at maybe 6GB.

Mobile share brings me down to $120 a month with my discount. I couldn't justify Unlimited!

I still hate the fact that I need to pay full retail on the NEXT plan for a phone but honestly the carrier shoves it down your throat if you want to play the I have unlimited game or 2 year discount price and you cant take it away from me!

YOU WIN AT&T! I hope your happy Another customer canceled his Unlimited plan!

I might buy one device on next and wait till craigslist starts selling the 6 at 400-$500.

Cant justify unlimited unless u MAX out 5 GB each month!

:apple:

I have an AT&T unlimited plan and really it's one of those things that you keep just because you can't get it anymore, not because you NEED it.

I'm also on a family plan - with 3 unlimited lines - that's around $200 a month. The other two lines do not need unlimited (they use MAYBE 1-2GB a month).

However, I use between 5GB and 7GB a month...and have never been throttled. Don't ask me why; everyone asks and I have no idea.

I called AT&T a few weeks ago and confirmed that I could keep my same unlimited plan with Next, so I may do that next year.

At any rate, yes...if you don't use 5GB then you WILL save money switching to a lower data plan!

wesselya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I'm sure each case is different but it is worth doing the math. I held on to and guarded my unlimited iPhone plan but by doing so thew away approximately $3000 over the last 5 years.

If you use 10GB+ as some have stated then I totally get it. I could never stare at a phone screen for 10GB worth of anything.

It cant be consistent every month. I mean there are very few that use so much data.

With the money you save most months you can go over once in a while and still be worth it.

----------

I have an AT&T unlimited plan and really it's one of those things that you keep just because you can't get it anymore, not because you NEED it.

I'm also on a family plan - with 3 unlimited lines - that's around $200 a month. The other two lines do not need unlimited (they use MAYBE 1-2GB a month).

However, I use between 5GB and 7GB a month...and have never been throttled. Don't ask me why; everyone asks and I have no idea.

I called AT&T a few weeks ago and confirmed that I could keep my same unlimited plan with Next, so I may do that next year.

At any rate, yes...if you don't use 5GB then you WILL save money switching to a lower data plan!

Why not go to Mobile share now at 15GB 120 + 15 + 15 +15 = 175?! You get mobile hotspot to and you will be eligible for NEXT today?

I thought I was going to pay $25 a month because I was still under contract but the rep said that any contract before FEB 2014 qualifies for the discount!

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA

Based on my experience, I think what AT&T is doing is throttling people who are in the top five percent of users in a given area now. I've gone well over 3GB (previously had a 4S which did not have LTE) for several months in the past year and never been throttled. Don't ask me how, as it seems their official policy is still the 3GB/5GB rule. The only times I've ever been warned were way back in 2012 for two months when AT&T texted me saying I reached 3GB.

circa7

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
Mostly worth it if you go 10GB or more. What plan do u have and what do you pay? mobile share is what the name means. SHARE. HArd to justify on one line find a buddy :)

I have one line that uses data, one regular phone that doesnt use data. My bill is about $145.00/m with 1400 minutes family share, unlimited data.

whiteshadoww

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
I dropped my unlimited plan as well. Locked into a high rate compared to what the competition was forcing on tiered plans. Unable to hot spot my unlimited. Throttled when over 5GB which I was never above 1GB....it's a phone and I have an unlimited iPad data plan for $29 anyway.

Now I'm on the 2GB plan and if I go over then $10/GB. It will save me money even in the months I go over.

The limits put on "unlimited" made it very limited from my point of view. I finally woke up and said "what's the point"

I wanted to ask what does the throttling actually mean? Some readers have written they have never experience it even going over 5 gig. Did you experience slower speeds?

Have you seen the new deal offered by AT&T?

http://phon.es/itlf

If you have a shared plan of 15 gig or higher they are doubling it for the same price. I am thinking of moving the three participants from our unlimited plan to the 15 gig plan (which would give us 30 gig). Trying to do as much research before giving up our unlimited plans.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I wanted to apologies for saying ATT next plan is stupid and 2 year contract is the only way to go. I was grandfathered on two of my lines on unlimited plans and I was paying close to 180-$190 for 3 line old family plan.

I was hard headed and set that UNLIMITED WAS THE BEST! After seeing that I maybe use 4GB myself and my other two lines barely use any data. All three of us peak at maybe 6GB.

Mobile share brings me down to $120 a month with my discount. I couldn't justify Unlimited!

I still hate the fact that I need to pay full retail on the NEXT plan for a phone but honestly the carrier shoves it down your throat if you want to play the I have unlimited game or 2 year discount price and you cant take it away from me!

I might buy one device on next and wait till craigslist starts selling the 6 at 400-$500.

I can't wait to cancel my Sprint Unlimited Plan. I pay only $67 a month compared to your family plan. I still see mine as a waste. I could hardly ever use data on Sprint. I'm just waiting for the official unlocked 6 on Thanksgiving week, is usually when it gets released. i'm going either ATt GoPhone Plan for $25 or T-Mobiles Pay-as-you-go plan for $30 - these plans have no data as I'm a;ways on wi-fi. I only need the voice/texting features of these plans.

Hype2k2

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, Texas
2 second guide right here to see if AT&T Next is worth it vs keeping your unlimited plan.

1 or 2 line account = stay on unlimited
3+ lines = AT&T Next will save you monthly

Not true unless all the lines have unlimited. My line had it and hers did not. We both got next phones and the bill worked out about the same if not cheaper as the previous bill.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007

And now AT&T is doubling the data for 15GB plans and higher. I know buy your statement you selected the 10GB plan and have a 25% discount but for $22 more a month you can now get 30GB.

I just can't pass that up so I'm upgrading to that plan

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I still think I'm going the right way with keeping the Grandfathered Unlimited and going with NEXT at same time.

After reading this tread I see multiple lines DEFINITELY save money dropping Grandfathered Unlimited and switching to NEXT Mobile Share

But in my case being a single line I'm looking at

NEXT/Grandfathered: Unlimited Plan $101 plus $42.05 iPhone 6 Plus installment

vs.

NEXT/Mobile Share: 10GB Plan $127 plus $42.05 iPhone 6 Plus installment

These numbers include the Fees and taxes each month after my $89 Unlimited rate

on the NEXT Mobile I can go from 10GB $115 rate down to 6GB $95 rate (before taxes and fees but that brings my limit down 4GB. If it were 8Gb and only 2GB difference then maybe I'd go with the Mobile share but 6GB is border line for me

Last edited:

wesselya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I have one line that uses data, one regular phone that doesnt use data. My bill is about $145.00/m with 1400 minutes family share, unlimited data.

Mobile share 10GB you will be at 130$ Why not switch?

----------

I wanted to ask what does the throttling actually mean? Some readers have written they have never experience it even going over 5 gig. Did you experience slower speeds?

Have you seen the new deal offered by AT&T?

http://phon.es/itlf

If you have a shared plan of 15 gig or higher they are doubling it for the same price. I am thinking of moving the three participants from our unlimited plan to the 15 gig plan (which would give us 30 gig). Trying to do as much research before giving up our unlimited plans.

Throttle means that you do not get LTE speads. They let you get internet acess but its SLOW!! like 3g speeds.

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
I have 3 unlimited data plans and I just went online to the plan changer and it said that we use 21.78 GB average over the past 3 months.

Even though AT&T is throttling, the data is still usable. Even though the double data is great, it's still cheaper for me to stay on unlimited. I can still stream Hulu, Youtube and Netflix when I go over 5GB's and I can still listen to Pandora.

Now, once AT&T offer double data and rollover data, then I'll dump my unlimited data plan

wesselya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I have 3 unlimited data plans and I just went online to the plan changer and it said that we use 21.78 GB average over the past 3 months.

Even though AT&T is throttling, the data is still usable. Even though the double data is great, it's still cheaper for me to stay on unlimited. I can still stream Hulu, Youtube and Netflix when I go over 5GB's and I can still listen to Pandora.

Now, once AT&T offer double data and rollover data, then I'll dump my unlimited data plan

How is it cheaper what plan do u have and what do you pay. 30gb. Would be 130 and 45 for yours phones that's 175$. No way you pay less than that. You will also get mobile hotspot of you switch.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
We have 5 iPhones on a plan with 450 minutes per month (and many thousands of rollover minutes, since we mostly just call each other). One person has a texting package since she has friends without iPhones. 2 of the iPhones have unlimited data and 3 have just 200mb, as the users have pretty modest needs for mobile data (pretty much always have wifi available). For this we pay around $230 per month, so that's $5520 over two years.

So I was faced with a decision recently because most or all of us are going to be updating the iPhone 6/6 Plus. Do we get them on contract or give up our unlimited and switch to NEXT/Family Share?

According to the AT&T website, the 10GB family share plan would cost us $175 a month (plus fees, which they don't include) assuming we were all using NEXT and got the $15 per line/per month discount. Over the course of 2 years, that would be $4200 (plus fees), which is a $1320 savings for Family Share (or probably closer to $1000 if fees were included).

However, when you do include the price of the phones, the story is rather different. The phones we're purchasing would cost $1495 under contract and $3750 off contract. That's a $2255 difference, meaning that for us going with NEXT/Family Share would cost at least an extra $1000 over the course of 2 years. Now of course there are benefits to switching, like having everyone sharing a large bucket of data and being able to tether. But unless I'm missing something, for people like us with older plans, switching is not really a no-brainer.

wesselya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
. But unless I'm missing something, for people like us with older plans, switching is not really a no-brainer.

You are missing a couple of things. 40 upgrade fee. That's 200$. Difference is only 800 for 2 years. But you are comparing Apple and oranges. You have a lean plan. 450 min. Rollover is only good for 12 month rolling and you don't use text.

Your going into an unlimited plan. With 10gb that u can tether. It's completly different if u want to save money stay where you are. But I would think with the new phones people would use more data.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I use 6gb a month........I'm on my own single plan.....it will get a lot more expensive on any other plan. Unlimited for life!

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
How is it cheaper what plan do u have and what do you pay. 30gb. Would be 130 and 45 for yours phones that's 175$. No way you pay less than that. You will also get mobile hotspot of you switch.

I have a 700mins family plan and each line has 200 bonus minutes. That is $45 for the base plan and $9.99 each for the two lines. I then have the A-List for free. I also have a $20 family unlimited text plan ($10 less than regular text plan) with free calling to any mobile number. For my 3 lines, I pay $22.50 (after discount) for each of the data plans. That gives me a total of 152.48.

If I went mobile share, I would pay $97.50 for the plan (30GB discounted) and then pay $40 for the 3 lines. That would total $217.50. Even if I brought my own phones and paid $15 per lines ($142.50 total), it would not be a worthwhile switch for me. I would have to buy my own phones, or go on Next and add another monthly charge to my bill

It's cheaper for me to stay on the old plans. I do lose out on mobile hotspot and yearly upgrades but that's fine with me. Since I use iPhones, I could do an early upgrade every year and seek the phone to make up the difference but it's not worth it for me.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Had I gone NEXT, my bill would have actually gone up $25.00. So in terms of what's better, YMMV, it seems.

wesselya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
. Even if I brought my own phones and paid $15 per lines ($142.50 total), it would not be a worthwhile switch for me. I would have to buy my own phones, or go on Next and add another monthly charge to my bill

I was under a 2 year contract but they said that because my contract started before 02/01/2014 that I would only pay 15$ per phone. This way you don't need to bring your own phone or do next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.