Personal apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by BAC5.2, Jun 25, 2011.

1. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

I registered my iPad as a developer tool (for free), and as such I should be able to write programs and load them onto my own iPad. I assume I can do the same with my iPhone. I've written two or three little apps, but I've only run them in the iOS Simulator, and never actually loaded them onto my iPad.

But if I want to distribute my app to just a few people (my family, actually), would I need to go through the App Store? Or is there a way to give them the program I wrote?

It's nothing special, but I think it would be useful for my family to have.

2. Sykte macrumors regular

Yes, you will need to become a registered developer and either publish in the app store or distribute adhoc.

3. BAC5.2 thread starter macrumors regular

Is the free developer "subscription" enough to be able to publish to the app store? Or do I need the $99/yr "subscription"?

By distribute adhoc, would I be able to load the app onto a family members phone directly (i.e. plug into my computer and upload), or would I have to register their SN to my free developer account?

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

Right now, all you have done is registered yourself as an Apple Developer. In order to involve any devices or the App Store, you need to pay the $99 to become an iOS Developer Program member.

You need UDIDs from the target devices for Ad Hoc distribution.

5. BAC5.2 thread starter macrumors regular

So I can use my own programs on my own device, but need to pay the $99 fee and submit my program to the app store so my family can use it?

Bummer. Oh well.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot load your program onto any device including your own unless you pay $99 (a year). Once you've paid you can easily install your app onto up to 100 devices without loading to the store.

7. BAC5.2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for.

One other question. If I let my year lapse, will my apps "expire"? Or will that be a one-time deal, and I can keep my apps forever?

Seems odd that you have to pay $99 just to try out an app on a real device, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you do not pay every year your apps are removed from the store and you loose the ability to get new provisioning certificates to put apps on your own devices. As the provisioning certificates expire every few months your apps would stop working on your own device (unless you load them to the store and then pay to download them from the store: they would work forever on your devices then but no-one new could download them from the store once you account expires).

9. BAC5.2 thread starter macrumors regular

Fantastically helpful. Thanks!

I wonder if I could write a series of helpful apps for my family, and then we all pitch in to cover the $99/year fee.

Interesting idea.

Thanks for the advice! Consider this case solved!