Personal Cloud Similar To Drop Box

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BEEFc58, Jan 12, 2012.

1. BEEFc58 macrumors member

Does anyone know of an application that allows you to access a personal computer from anywhere?

I am really looking for a solution like bdrive (www.bdrive.com), but that allows your to be on any internet connection and access the "clouds" files. For bdrive, you have to be on the same wireless network. I have also seen the apps that create a web based file access system (aka tonido). However, I like the drop box style of having a regular file folder on your desktop or mobile device. I am also looking for something that does not sync between the two devices, just allows your to save directly to the main device.

Sorry if this is confusing, don't know how else to explain the app that I am looking for. bdrive is basically it, but I cannot seem to get it to work when I am not on the same wifi network.

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for the help.

BEEF

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use. It also allows file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

TeamViewer is nice. Some alternatives are LogMeIn, Splashtop, and many more.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know about Splashtop, but the reason I prefer TV over LogMeIn is because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature you have to pay for with LogMeIn.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Ah yes, I keep forgetting about that. I use Ignition on my iOS devices which includes this feature. The thing I do not like about TV is that it does not support WOL. LogMeIn does, however.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Interesting! So you could use LMI to wake the remote, then use TV for the rest?

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

Yes, assuming your computer is connected via LAN (ethernet) and is in sleep mode and WOL is enabled under Sys Pref.

8. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Do you have a Mac? If so, turn on file sharing and open up the appropriate port in your firewall and you can access it from anywhere. If you have a dynamic IP address it's a bit more involved; search on dyndns and you'll find solutions.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that then take a look at ShareTool. Unlike the services already noted (LogMeIn, TeamViewer, etc etc) it is a piece of software, not a service. They do have a method to allow you to use it with a dynamic IP. It allows you to access files, share the screen, access iTunes and iPhoto libraries (assuming you have sharing turned on), access printers on your home mac, access BusyCal, EyeTV and other software that uses bonjour, and in general treat your Mac as if you were on a local network. Easy peasy.

Everything is encrypted over SSH, so it's also very secure, and you can use it with a public key if you want even more security.

Rob

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TeamViewer is both software and a service. It also doesn't require a static IP or having file sharing enabled.