Personal cloud

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by r00li, Apr 20, 2011.

1. r00li macrumors member

I just recently switch from an old intel iMac to a new MBP. Now I want to use my old iMac as an HTPC and home server. So I need some software solution that can:
    - Enable me to download files from my computer via internet using a web browser. I don't want anything that needs a special software client side - only a web browser.
    - Enable me to stream my media collection to any web browser via internet. No special software on the client.

I found ZumoCast which does those things that I want but sadly it only streams some video formats (not those which I need) and does require me loging in to their site to access my computer - I want to enter the IP of my computer directly. Does something like this even exist?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You can do what you want with OS X's built-in Apache webserver. You just need to point your virtual hosts to the appropriate directories on your hard drive. You'll also need to configure your router to forward traffic from port 80 to your server.

BEAR IN MIND THOUGH that you will basically be opening your server up to anyone on the internet who might stumble across it. In other words, it might not just be you accessing your files. To prevent this you'll need to look into Apache authentication or possibly even using PHP login scripts on your home server.

I'm afraid I can't give you a step by step because it would require quite a long post to explain Apache configuration and server side scripting. Also, you need to thoroughly consider the ramifications of going this route. Maybe someone else will know more of an "idiot proof" solution.

3. r00li thread starter macrumors member

Well accessing my files isn't a problem. I know that OSX has web server built in and I know my way around PHP. So showing the files isn't realy a problem. Streaming the video is. I need to stream any of my video files to anyone that has the correct password. Something like youtube just with my server instead of theirs :D . Of course it needs to transcode those files on the fly.

4. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

evern thought of a Pogoplug - means you dont have to use the home pm/mac to store your file s- just plug a large usb hd into the pogoplug and away you go - will transcode video on the fly - even over 3g to iphone/android. Quick install of an app on mobiles or sign in via web browser on a computer.

I have one and it works very well.

5. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

As far as file access goes, you could always use dropbox. And if you're looking to stream music, there's DropTunes which will stream music files from your dropbox. Not sure about video files though

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Why does it need to transcode? I never have any problem just clicking links to media files in the browser and letting the browser's plugin(s) play them. They download what they need as buffer and begin to play as long as the correct plugin and codecs are installed on the client machine.

7. r00li thread starter macrumors member

Have you ever tried playing .mkv files that way or maybe wmv? Also you can lower thr bandwidth needed to play the video.

DropBox is not what I want. I want my home server not something somewhere. And it also doesn't have enough space.

I looked into pogoplug while back but why would I use it? If I have a computer that can do the same thing. I don't want to spend more money on a device that I don't need.

8. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Is the intended recipient(s) using iOS devices? If so, you can use AirVideo or StreamToMe. Both transcode on-the-fly and you can set a login/password to secure them. I've been using StreamToMe for a long time and it's fantastic. Both are really cheap (under $5).

9. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

why do you need Drop Tunes doesn't the music in the iTunes folder play in iTunes on the device or computer that Dropbox is installed on stored on Dropbox play

10. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Because the OP wanted to be able to stream media from any web browser without a special client.

To the OP: Well if you were technically inclined you could kinda build your own web app to do what you want it to do although you prob would have to transcode your media files to mp4 to stream them over the net.

11. r00li thread starter macrumors member

QuickTime streaming server would be a good idea. At least if I understand how it works correctly. Sadly it is only for mac OS Server and not for the standard one.

As far as building my own application to do this - I have been thinkig about this. If I remember correctly VLC media player can stream any video so I could use it as an backend. But I don't have the time to do that at the moment.