Personal Desktop Database Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by captainritalin, Sep 23, 2010.

1. captainritalin macrumors member

Hello all. As the title says I am looking for database software for my desktop (latest gen 27 iMac core i7). I am a science major and a data monger, so I have tons of scientific papers, articles, blogs, my own documents etc. I have quite a collection, and find my self relying on it more than on google when I want an answer fast. However, I know there has to be a better solution. I have done some filemaker work, but it is too damn expensive so I don't know if I can justify the cost of me buying it my self. Are there any free alternatives to what it sounds like I need? Thanks for your help.

2. Precision4 macrumors newbie

For Scientific papers you can try Papers. My wife is looking into that for her PhD.

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

4. steveoc macrumors regular

I think DEVONthink is best suited for this purpose. It makes dumping pdfs, webpages, documents, presentations, etc into the database extremely easy.

It comes in flavors ranging from $50 to $150 and they have a 25% academic discount. I like the most expensive Pro Office because it has integrated OCR making it very easy to scan and convert paper documents to pdfs that can be searched within the database.

A browser add on allows you to easily save and file web assets in a variety of formats including pdf and web archives. You can also index external files to be included in searches if you prefer they not dwell in the database.

They have a fully enabled 150 hr run time demo.

It is fantastic software.

5. captainritalin thread starter macrumors member

Papers and Devonthink sound good. But isn't bento just for like home stuff? It can't like cross reference papers and PDFs and stuff can it? Does anyone happen to know of some freeware or free software that could do the trick? Thanks for all the help guys!

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Not sure if it can help, but have you thought about Evernote ? It allows to store everything online and search very easily through your documents...

7. steveoc macrumors regular

If money is a problem, I'd get the Personal version of DEVONthink for $37.50 or the Pro version for $60 (Pro does everything Pro Office does except OCR and webserver). They will let you upgrade between versions when you decide to go for a more advanced version for about the difference in price.

The price of the software is nil compared the time and effort saved. I certainly wish it was available when I was in school.