Personal details of others .....

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by byke, Jan 14, 2015.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Having recently upgraded to iOS 8 I seem to have come across a "feature" ? that I don't understand how it works.

I was reading an old email from a company, and all of a sudden I was able to add that persons email address to my contacts (nothing new there) but it also offered to include all of that persons phone numbers etc? I took this as a one off and shrugged it off.

Now my wife friend has included me in an email, so i saved her email address into my contacts. Moments later it then offered to fill in the other bits like telephone numbers etc?

Can anyone explain to me why or how personal information is able to be aggregated ? As I don't think either person sent me a V card in that sense. And it was iCloud itself which is offering to autofill details of contacts.

Cheers

2. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

It can suggest adding the phone number if it's listed somewhere in the email message (ie: signature), or if it matches another contact you already have in your phone.

3. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

I know if your sync your contacts with facebook this happens too. Some people have their phone numbers on their facebook visible to all friends. When you sync your phone contacts up with Facebook it pulls that data and combines it automatically.