Personal Experience With my 2010 Macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lxeran, Sep 2, 2011.

1. lxeran macrumors newbie

I've recently bought a second hand half an year old macbook air.
    After a week with my mac, and being a 20-years veteran windows user,

I must say, I'm extremely impressed.

Running a windows 7 on my parallels, coherence mode, with visual studio, office, and whatnot running. and not feeling a slight lag, and all of that with 2gb ram... unbelievable

anyways... battery life was 5 hours, which is impressive but... i did wish for me.

so i search up and looked for an undervolt possibility... and tracked down coolbook. im a programmer so i thought... 'hey i can do that myself'.. so i managed to find something similiar, and did it... but - throttling didnt work so well, and i could only manage to undervolt it to 1.000v, which is nice but not enough.

so after two days of trial, and a beginning fear of screwing my beloved mac, i decided to purchase coolbook for 10$ and, man, i got a good surprise... i underestimated it, i saw from 9:00am, with visual studio, office and google chrome running, and im a heavy-user... with 10 tabs and a google chrome open on my windows vm.
    so from 9:00am, to 2:00pm, i've been using the mac continously, battery is now on 38%... meaning, i've used 3/5 of the battery, for 5 hours...
    battery will go for 8 hours, meaning i've got 3 extra hours out of coolbook..

i was really sceptic about coolbook and didnt want to 'waste' 10$ on an undervolting program..

but... i gotta admit it was worth it... alot.. as a student which doesnt want to mess with outlets and stuff, its perfect. 8 hours of continous heavy-load work... AMAZING.

(not to mention the comp is cool indeed)

of course, im running my macbook at 0.925v for all frequencies, which are the lowest settings.

im more than happy :)
    btw, its really important to be EXTREMELY careful when playing with these settings - it could damage your mac.

btw, macos > windows, by some levels.. from a mac hater to a mac fanboy? :)

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Nice try :)

3. lxeran thread starter macrumors newbie

lol

thats not nice to laugh at me :p
    im just sharing my what i think...

4. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

A VERY SUBTLE INFOMERCIAL... NOT :rolleyes:

Coolbook PR should lay off the Koolaid!

5. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

yep, infomercial. :D

6. lxeran thread starter macrumors newbie

lol

lol im seroius, i don't know the author or anything... i really tried programming it for two days, but since im new to programming for macosx, i gave up and just bought it..
    if you are able to put a cheaper / better program in the market (undervolting below 0.925v for example) ill be more than happy to help and buy it...

for me, it was worth the money and expanded my mac's battery life beyond my expectations...

no infomercial, just sayin my own personal experience, after i was so sceptic and thought that he faked comments, cuz the reviews seem a bit 'carried away' and mine too... cuz i was blown out of my mind when i saw the results..

btw i also undervolted my previous laptops... and i know how much its supposed to help. (asus 1215n and hp dv6)

7. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

when you undervolt don't you give up performance? i mean I know the 2010 air has less power under the hood then the current air. your running a C2D at like 1.87Ghz? all those CPU intensive tasks and you undervolted it, did you see drop in performance? I mean i would think it would be more apparent since the GPU is already pretty low.

8. futbalguy macrumors 6502

You dont lose performance, the computer just freezes if the voltage isnt high enough to support the CPU.

9. lxeran thread starter macrumors newbie

a little update

so to update a little...
    no freezes or glitches or anything like that... computer is working flawlessly.

i actually upgraded to parallels 7 and must say, performance gone up by quite a bit.

anyways, i've got a powerful pc, c2d @ 4ghz, 4gb ram, raid0x3 1tb hds, and with parallels 7, i think that the performance is about the same.

ssd makes the difference i guess, cause i've got 2gb on my mba, but.. still, after coming from a netbook(asus 1215n) - working on this mba is amazing.

btw, the macbook carried me from 9:00-16:00 that day, 7 hours of kicking its ass continuously... which is amazing in my opinion.

its not that certain that a cpu could operate at that voltage, but im glad mine does. (0.925v)
    anyways, im loving this mac more and more... my gf starts to get worried...

10. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

I want to share my experience about my Air too! I bought it basically so I could post lots of fake posts about my new product on various sites on the internet. However, despite it being a great computer, I found that the battery life and the fact that I can only do so many posts per hour limited how much I could spam the internet. I saw this cool website though, called www.spamsRus.com and was skeptical, seeing as how it might be a blatant scam. But after getting tired of posting myself, I gave them my social security #, my credit cards, my bank #s, and the name of my firstborn child and they're spamming the internets for me now!