Personal (external HD) Cloud

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MBP-13''-SSD-i5, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MBP-13''-SSD-i5 macrumors newbie

So I was wondering if there is a way to set up a personal cloud using an external hard drive so that I can access my files and pictures etc. from anywhere using multiple computers. Any ideas?

2. MAGNUStm macrumors member

I use a NAS (Synology DS111). I can access it within, and out, my network.. Not really the cheapest set up (NAS can range from $150 + cost of HDD), but keep in mind they are typically feature rich.

If you don't really have a need for the full functionaltiy of a NAS there are routers that have this feature. Netgear's line calls it ReadyShare. It allows you to connect an external drive via usb and makes it accessible within your network. And in some case, outside as well.

3. MBP-13''-SSD-i5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info! Also, is it possible to access this data from an iOS device using NAS?

4. MAGNUStm macrumors member

Yes. Synology offers several free apps that allow you to stream your music/photos to your iDevice. They dont offer a native app for streaming video however you can do so via File Management App as long as the video is in a supported iOS format.

Here's a link for more info on the apps.

5. MBP-13''-SSD-i5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thats exactly what I needed to know!