Personal Finance App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 06Honda, Jun 15, 2014.

1. 06Honda macrumors regular

Looking for a free app for personal finance. Need it for basic general budget tracking and expenses. Do not need it for banking or investments.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is not an app, but the web service Mint.com will do the basics like you want for free.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Mint.com is a great service too. I've used it before.

An actual app, which is highly rated, but expensive, is YNAB (You Need A Budget).

4. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Ynab

I can't say enough about YNAB. It's a fabulous budgeting tool, vastly superior to any other tool I've tried. The entire paradigm of planning and spending is different with YNAB. It takes a slight bit of adjustment getting used to a new way of thinking about spending, but once you've made that mind switch, it's hard to imagine how any other financial tool could compare.

YNAB has a weakness in that it's not superb at tracking investments, retirement, etc.,. It's way more about spending within your means in a way that's not only painless but also enjoyable.

5. Cythth macrumors regular

Cythth

For the basic stuff that you want, and at your "price", Mint.com is the way to go. I personally use Quicken Essentials and like it (I know I'm in the minority with that opinion, so save the flames).

6. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Mint is a good tool if you are looking for the basics and it being free.

I also like Quicken Essentials and have been using it for a few years now. It does all the basics that I need. I've tried other apps like iBank 5 and although it has sme nice features, I think Quicken is just easier and straightforward. Save the flames, Quicken Essentials is a very good program. I just bought a new iMac in April and bought Quicken Essentials a second time, this time from the Mac App Store since my original copy was on a CD and the iMac does not have a disc drive. Since it was a program I use daily I didn't mind spending the money for it a second time around. I just wish they had an iOS version to sync with.

7. Cythth macrumors regular

Cythth

Definitely agree. Intuit needs to invest a little more effort in the Mac version. The Windows version apparently has the ability to sync to mobile devices.

8. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome feedback, will check both of them out. Thanks.

9. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Quicken 2007 for Mac (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mt. Lion and Mavericks) is available for only $15 download from Intuit and is full featured; not the stripped down Quicken Essentials:

10. jahlinux macrumors member

jahlinux

I also use Quicken Essentials and really like it. A big update is in the works and I'm looking forward to it. Give Quicken Essentials a try.