Personal finance software recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whereswalden90, Oct 14, 2012.

1. whereswalden90 macrumors newbie

I know there have been other threads like this, but I think I'm looking for something specific enough to warrant a new thread.

I'm in the market for personal finance software. I used Mint.com for a while and demo'd Moneydance and iBank, but none of them have really done what I want them to. All of them seem a little full-featured to me (I don't have tons of investments and I'm not managing a small business or anything), and they lacked the flexibility in budgeting that I desire. My ideal software would have the following features:
    1. Bank direct connect: automatically connects with my bank and downloads transactions.
    2. Smart categorization: intelligently categorizes expenses based on history.
    3. iOS app (self explanatory)
    4. Tags-based budgeting: this one will take a little more explaining.

The way I manage my budget categorizes expenses based on function more than source. For example, I might have a category for small discretionary expenses. At the end of the month, I want to be able to see how much of that was spent on coffee or movies or etc, but I want all of those things to occupy a similar space in my budget. In other words, I want my budget to be grouped by tags, but to maintain categories for analysis.

Anybody know of any software that meets that profile?

2. whereswalden90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, 475 views and no responses. Does anybody know of anything that's at least vaguely similar?

3. RixMac macrumors newbie

try this...

mint.com app is solid. links to all your accounts and has bank level encryption.

4. laetusviator macrumors member

laetusviator

There is SEE Finance, which hasn't been mentioned, but I don't think it has everything you want.

It's going to be tough to find something that meets all those requirements, unfortunately. :(

I'd love to find a finance app like that too...

5. whereswalden90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, I'm most concerned about being able to budget by tag rather than category. I'd even be happy if there was some sort of hack solution where I could budget by memo or something else, basically anything that wasn't dependent on category.