Personal finance software that helps you save up for a goal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miska25, Jan 31, 2014.

1. miska25 macrumors newbie

I've tried a few personal finance apps by downloading trials and settled on iBank 5, only to find out that it doesn't have a function that helps you save up for a goal. Does anyone know of an app that does?

For example, I know I will have to pay my tuition this September, which is a set amount of money that I have to start saving up now. I need to know how much to save per month. I have several projects like this and would like to make them a part of my budget (am I saving up enough, how am I doing in terms of meeting my goals etc)

iBank 5 has all the other functions I need, so I like it... I also tried YNAB but I really didn't like the whole YNAB method. Does anyone have any suggestions for (a) app that does have that function (that's not YNAB) or (b) maybe using other functions in iBank to compensate for this?

Thanks so much beforehand.

--

MacBook Air (July 2013 model), i7, 8 GB, 500 GB Flash
    OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks

2. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

I was in the exact same situation and have tried those exact programs and felt the same. In the end I made my own spreadsheet in MS Office using various different tutorials from around the web. This way it is tailored to me - and I can see my goals and spending as a graph.

3. MacLC macrumors 6502

I had the same situation, though I started in Open/Star Office and later moved to MS Office. A friend spruced it up in iWork but somehow my brain works better in Office.

9 years of tinkering later, I link cells between documents, and do:
    1 document/year with 12 monthly sheets of 28-31 days of daily stuff.
    1 document for annual totals
    1 document to track investments and capital expenditures
    1 document to link all the data.

Amazingly you can see how much a "weekly" Starbucks affects your retirement. Cutting out gourmet coffee means retiring 1 year earlier, no joke.

4. NukeIT macrumors regular

Mint.com also has OS X and iOS apps that you can build goals into