Personal Finance software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eldiablojoe, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I apologize ahead of time, I could not find a forum for 3rd party Mac software elsewhere on MR.

When I was a Windows user, I used Quicken for years for my personal finance.

Now that I've been with Mac about a year, I have searched the whole time for a decent, simple personal finance program. When Quicken for Mac came out, it was roundly panned by many. I've been using iBank3 for about 6 months, but I'm so frustrated with it's horrible non-intuitive nature and confusion that I have just about given up on it. In fact, I have given up on it.

I'm not looking for some incredibly thorough, complex, able-to-track-pre-and-post-tax-stock-purchases etc. I simply want something to balance my basic checking and savings accounts that is simple, easy to use, and relatively bug-free.

Any advice or suggestions? Please DO NOT recommend iBank, lol.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I can recommend mint.com. It's an online service, free and pretty good. It does everything I want (except access non-US accounts). It's made by the people who make Quicken, too.

3. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

I would suggest you go ahead and check out Quicken Essentials for Mac. It's not as bad as people would leave you to believe. it's certainly no quicken for windows, but for basic stuff like you are talking about it's just fine. A couple of weeks ago Quicken released 1.5 and it's getting better. I have the same requirements as you and so far I am really liking it.

Jason

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ditto to the above post , give ie a try.

5. cdinca macrumors 6502

If you like quicken, have you considered using parallels?
    I have to run turbo tax business through parallels, and it is perfect.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer iBank, its a solid feature rich application.

7. descendent87 macrumors newbie

I've spent most the day looking for a personal finance app aswell, I've searched the forums and read everything I could find and downloaded trial versions of all the apps. Most of them were way too complex for my basic needs, two of the best I found were koku and chronicle. Both are simple to use and have a nice ui but neither have all the features I require, ideally I'd like a combination of the two. Koku was great for just keeping track of your balance & seeing what your money's gone on but lacked any sort of bill management while Chronicle is great for bill management (nice feature that it adds reminders for bills to iCal) but not as good for keeping track of what your moneys gone on etc.
    If anyone knows of an app that is easy to use and combines the features I like from both the above apps then please let me know.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

I use Quicken for Windows through Parallels.

Oddly, Intuit will produce Turbotax for Mac and distribute it on the same CD as Turbotax for Windows, but they have yet to produce a feature-parity version of Quicken for Mac. They spent more time on Quicken Essentials putting in things like Cover Flow rather than adding functionality. Mac UI standards notwithstanding, I'd settle for a 100% port of the Windows version, UI and all, on the Mac if it had the same functionality.

9. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I too have spent my day like as you have. I've tried iBank and am very unhappy with it. I tried Mint today, and it seems very good- but it doesn't do the one thing I really need, namely, reconcile bank statements. Basic checkbook balancing. I was looking at money dance. It seems pretty good. I can't get enough info out of the "100 manual transactions only" demo, so I'm looking now for promo codes. If I find one, I will TOFTT and buy it.