Personal Finance?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Clusty, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Clusty macrumors regular

What's a good, free personal finance application for mac?

I don't need anything that'll auto-pay bills, just something to manage expenses and incomes. It'd also be nice if it had something to keep watch over stocks.. but that's not needed.

2. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

3. Zeke macrumors 6502

Not free, but moneydance is worth the $30 they charge for it. Check it out.

4. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Mint would be awesome if it was an application.

5. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

To be honest, I tried out a lot of personal finance applications. The free ones all suck. The best one I used was iBank. Worked great and very easy to use. I forgot how much it was.

If you want a free personal finance, use Excel or Numbers (Granted you have Office or iWork already).

6. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I've been using iBank for a few months now and can recommend it. The developer puts out fairly frequent updates (mainly bug fixes, but some enhancements) too. The only thing it's lacking from my experience is the ability to average out a spending category over a given period of time. E.g, if I want to average my credit card spending for food/dining out there isn't a quick way to do so. It will give me a graph with the total spending and I can do a manual calculation (based on counting the months), but I want it to do the calculations for me. Other than that one glaring omission, it's pretty good. I'll be doing a review soon, check my blog below if you want to see it.

iBank is $49: http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank

7. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I'm not sure there are any good personal finance applications for the Mac, free or otherwise.

I use Quicken for Windows, which i run under VMWare. Quicken for Mac is horrendous, and none of the freeware/open source/shareware solutions have nearly as many features.

Mint.com actually looks cool, but I'm not sure I can trust somebody else with my most private data. Anybody have real experience using it?

8. Slumbercub macrumors regular

9. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I agree with you 100% on mint.com
    Looks good but no way Im gonna keep all my finance data online. I use iBank and have to say that Im pretty found of it. It lacks some features but covers 90% of my needs and as far as Im concerned all shortcomings are gonna be addressed in 3.0 ver which will be for sale soon

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

How well does iBank do investment tracking--stocks, mutual funds, etc.? Quicken seems pretty sophisticated -- stock splits, cost basis, etc. Does iBank do well too?